Caclium Reactor Tuning

RadiatedReef

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey everyone, got a new to me calcium reactor set up. Although I don’t have much demand right now, between work and my other hobbies I don’t have a lot of time to put into dosing by hand and constantly checking.

I’ll be pairing this with an Apex soon hopefully, but was wondering what effluent output I should shoot for to only add around 20ppm of calcium and only a few Dkh of all a day?

A2D2E410-0A97-4B1C-BA0D-0AB24CCA712D.jpeg

Hey @RadiatedReef , I am not 100% sure you are asking, but my preference for tuning a calcium reactor is not using a controller to regulate dosing, I rather measure the consumption of your tank and the effluent of your reactor, to determine your flow and effluent needs. I do keep a PH monitor on my calc reactor to know that the PH remains steady and at a melting point for the crx media.

Measure your Alk in your tank and the Alk of your effluent from your Calc Reactor. Wait 2 days, measure your Alk again. Be sure to measure the alk approximately the same time of day as you did in the first test for a more accurate reading. Also, if you're not using a periplastic pump to pull your effluent from the reactor, you will have to measure your flow ml/min. You can easily do this with a graduated cylinder you find on Amazon for cheap. Once you get that info, you can go here: http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html. There is a tank volume calculator there as well, if you need help calculating actual water volume. Key all your info in on the #2. Adjust the Reactor side and it will tell you what you need to adjust your effluent rate to be.

Also, personal experience and seen many CRx users suffered the same, the AquariumPlants Carbon Doser, while easy to use, is a single stage regulator. When the tank starts to get low, it will dump co2 into your reactor causing a spike in alk. When it happened to me, I reef controller alerted me and I took it offline immediately. I now use a dual stage regulator and never have to worry again.

Hey @RadiatedReef , I am not 100% sure you are asking, but my preference for tuning a calcium reactor is not using a controller to regulate dosing, I rather measure the consumption of your tank and the effluent of your reactor, to determine your flow and effluent needs. I do keep a PH monitor on my calc reactor to know that the PH remains steady and at a melting point for the crx media.

Measure your Alk in your tank and the Alk of your effluent from your Calc Reactor. Wait 2 days, measure your Alk again. Be sure to measure the alk approximately the same time of day as you did in the first test for a more accurate reading. Also, if you're not using a periplastic pump to pull your effluent from the reactor, you will have to measure your flow ml/min. You can easily do this with a graduated cylinder you find on Amazon for cheap. Once you get that info, you can go here: http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html. There is a tank volume calculator there as well, if you need help calculating actual water volume. Key all your info in on the #2. Adjust the Reactor side and it will tell you what you need to adjust your effluent rate to be.

Also, personal experience and seen many CRx users suffered the same, the AquariumPlants Carbon Doser, while easy to use, is a single stage regulator. When the tank starts to get low, it will dump co2 into your reactor causing a spike in alk. When it happened to me, I reef controller alerted me and I took it offline immediately. I now use a dual stage regulator and never have to worry again.
I appreciate the lengthy response!

Ive been keeping an eye on it, and it seems to have settled for now. Again, my tank is low demand, the calculator has said through various inputs my tanks daily usage is around 2dkh.

Currently:
CalRx pH- 6.8
CalRx Alk- 20.1
CalRx efl rate- 30ml/min
Tank pH- 8ish (watching through new apex)

My Calcium went from 400 to 480 over 2-3 days.

My tank Alk went from 7.3 (3/3/23) (I made a flow rate adjustment) to 9.2 (3/5/23) to 9.0 (3/7/23) so I’ll check again tomorrow to see what the Alk is doing and adjust flow rate from there. I think 9 is a good spot to try and sit around.

I’m still not sure how to set this up to my apex, I was able to get a basically brand new a3 pro model, but I’ve never had one before.

I’m having issue linking my trident to the apex, but hopefully soon I’ll be able to monitor Cal and Alk throughout the day even during my 12hr shift days

Still trying to find the sweet spot with the reactor. Picked up a new to me Apex and Trident system from someone not on the forums (he had no idea it even existed so hopefully he joins.

I’ve been tracking it and trying to get things level. The Alk is high, but everything else looks to be on point.

The CalRx pH is at 6.4 so I slowed the bubbles down a little and I also slowed down the effluent drip rate, so I’ll see how things go into tomorrow.

Attachments

• FFE558FF-315D-4ECC-B65B-86396C4E2390.png
    FFE558FF-315D-4ECC-B65B-86396C4E2390.png
    293 KB · Views: 9
  • EBEB65C3-2EFF-4946-BB57-119EC97E39AE.png
    EBEB65C3-2EFF-4946-BB57-119EC97E39AE.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 9
  • C11D15D9-567B-49A5-AB47-4B44DB1A33EA.png
    C11D15D9-567B-49A5-AB47-4B44DB1A33EA.png
    311.2 KB · Views: 8
The master ‘short’ course -

Back