Bubble production - MRC-R2

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
I have noticed a slow and graduate decrees in my bubble production on my MRC-R2. It used to be milky white and was producing more foam then now. I find myself adjusting the water level higher and higher to produce foam. I have cleaned the becketts inside and out but still no change. I also made sure there is no obstructions in the plumbing to and from the recirculating pump. What am I missing? Could the pump impeller could have somehow got damaged? how do I check that?

I made a short video showing the bubble production:
haninja

Have you clean the recirc pump? Also make sure the needle valves for the air are free from obstruction.

Also, make sure the becketts are re installed properly. It looks like a injectors isn't working

Sounds familiar. See my thread I posted today. Glad you noticed the problem prior to it becoming one. Check your air lines as well as the impellar. I've had a broken impellar before and it does affect it similar to what is showing.

jmaneyapanda;606241 wrote: Have you clean the recirc pump? Also make sure the needle valves for the air are free from obstruction.

Also, make sure the becketts are re installed properly. It looks like a injectors isn't working

How do I clean the recirc pump? do I need to take it apart?
I did check the needle valves, for got to mention it.
The becketts can only be installed one way as one side is smaller the the other.

coolsurf;606242 wrote: Sounds familiar. See my thread I posted today. Glad you noticed the problem prior to it becoming one. Check your air lines as well as the impellar. I've had a broken impellar before and it does affect it similar to what is showing.

Yep, your thread kinda pushed me to ask as I have seen the exact same behaviour.

you cleaned the air injectors? (on mine, when I took apart the needle valve assembly & silencer, the cotton filter had become clogged - replacing that did the trick for me)

also, recently, I took apart the air injector/needle valve and blew it out with compressed air and that ALSO had a huge change in air intake...

on cleaning the recirc pump, you would have to drain down the entire system (unless you have it valved off) and disassemble the impeller housing and remove the "saltwater gunk" that builds up over time in these things.. (Jeremy may know what that buildup is, I dont)

I took the pump out and disassembled the impeller. It is full of gunk but nothing seems to be broken. I'm soaking it in muriatic acid right now...

quite often, warm tap water & a toothbrush will remove all that stuff..

The impeller channels often get filled with debris and organic sludge. Clean it should help a lot.

Regarding the becketts, did you disassemble the black foam head itself, or just clean the clear acrylic injector body. The black foam head disassembles for thorough cleaning, and it is often reassembled incorrectly.

I always clean the foam head thoroughly. I take it apart, open the two halves, remove the inside piece and clean all.

luckily, there arent a lot of places that could be causing a problem. it's either the air injector or the recirculating pump.. there just aren't that many places that a problem can develop.

That's why some of us use other systems that are much easier to clean and maintain....

Well, the impeller and housing are all clean and it made a difference. Looks better then before. I'll let it run a few more days and monitor the progress.

Back