MR-R2 Skimmer = LOUD!!

Sn4k33y3z;988617 wrote: I've seen a lot of people run away from the MRC skimmers for this reason and go with something like I got, a Vertex. I almost got an MRC, but all the noise about how finicky they are scared me away.

Yes, there is a lot of debate about the differences. Having used both, I can honestly say they are really two different animals completely. Needlewheel skimmers are great because they are really set and forget. Aside from cleaning the cup and neck, there's really not much to it. With the beckett skimmers, they need to be set up problem, and do need routine cleaning. Without it, they wont perform as expected. However... that being said, I will put a properly cleaned and properly set up beckett skimmer against a needlewheel any day of the week, and would easily expect it to outperform it.

It really just boils down to the type of reefing habit you're accustomed to. SOme people are very hands on, and are willing to service the equipment regularly. For them, a beckett skimmer is the best option. Some people travel, or choose not to have to deal with the routine maintenance. For them, a needlewheel makes more sense.

elFloyd;988622 wrote: BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Told you I would find the stupid mistake of the day!!!

:up:

(I only knew that because I *MAY* have had the same issue about 567889375634 times. :yes: )

SEA Atlanta;988624 wrote: :up:

(I only knew that because I *MAY* have had the same issue about 567889375634 times. :yes: )

Now that is one statement I won't question you on. Why? Because I am right there with you. LOL

Ahhhhhh...! Peace and quiet!

Fans on my three LED fixtures make more noise than the MR-2R.
My two Dursos make more noise than the MR-2R.
I can almost say the DC-12000 (full power) makes as much, or more noise than the MR-2R.

Very little sound from the injectors, very little sound from the recirculation pump (Blohole-1100). Most sound comes from water movement but that will settle down once I adjust injectors tomorrow.

Placing a DB meter between the tank and skimmer: 63 DB (peak) skimmer off, 70 DB (peak) skimmer on.

My beast is once more under control.

:up:

Back