MR-R2 Skimmer = LOUD!!

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
For the past year I've run a MR-R2 Skimmer within my stand... the only sound was minor and came from the recirc. pump. Over the weekend I re-plumbed the skimmer outside the stand. This allowed me to raise the skimmer higher than the sump, and the return to the sump isn't effected by back pressure.

I powered this thing up today... and the becketts are LOUD!!!! Way louder than when the skimmer was in the stand.

I haven't tuned it in yet, and the injectors are wide open. However, I tried closing these and no change to the sound.

Anyone with an MR skimmer have the same experience? And... were you able to mitigate the noise?

elFloyd;988371 wrote: For the past year I've run a MR-R2 Skimmer within my stand... the only sound was minor and came from the recirc. pump. Over the weekend I re-plumbed the skimmer outside the stand. This allowed me to raise the skimmer higher than the sump, and the return to the sump isn't effected by back pressure.

I powered this thing up today... and the becketts are LOUD!!!! Way louder than when the skimmer was in the stand.

I haven't tuned it in yet, and the injectors are wide open. However, I tried closing these and no change to the sound.

Anyone with an MR skimmer have the same experience? And... were you able to mitigate the noise?

Do you have the silencers? The noise from the becketts is almost completely negated by them.

Just curious, do you get annoyed having to tune the Beckett's all the time? I've heard there a real PITA.

Sn4k33y3z;988385 wrote: Just curious, do you get annoyed having to tune the Beckett's all the time? I've heard there a real PITA.

Nah. With proper maintenance and the specified pump, they are arguably once of the best bubble producing devices for skimmer made. However, if youre not going to clean them or use the manufacturer specified pump, it wont work at maximum.

You shouldn't have the air valves all the way open. Also, sre you using cotton or poly in the silencer?

Skriz;988398 wrote: You shouldn't have the air valves all the way open. Also, sre you using cotton or poly in the silencer?

Just following MRC directions.... water two inches above the box... pump on... injectors open.

And yes... the silencers are on.

I'm in meetings today... think tomorrow I'll pull out the beckets and reinstall.

Sn4k33y3z;988385 wrote: Just curious, do you get annoyed having to tune the Beckett's all the time? I've heard there a real PITA.

Biggest fiddling I've had is getting the water level stable. Once stable it's set and forget. I adjust the Beckett very little.

You need to adjust the valves to get the bubble size and density you want. Usually about a quarter open per injector. Better performance and quieter.

i ran a mr2r for awhile. i didnt run the silencers because it was in a diff room. but even without the cotton they were not that loud. really quiet with them. i also ran mine with airline hooked into the silencer without the cotton to outdoors to help with keeping up the PH. worked perfect. not sure why they would be that loud. mine ran the best with the valves about halfway open. it is a beast of a skimmer though. never had to adjust it and cleaned the becketts about once a month. good luck

I think I have an air leak somewhere... I can remove the silencers and plug the holes with my fingers and nothing changes... Noise... Bubbles... Nothing.

Tomorrow I will probably find a stupid mistake!

Sn4k33y3z;988458 wrote: Seems like a lot of work for a skimmer.

It's not. Turning 2 valves is about is simple as it gets. Being a high performance skimmer, it is a little more than simply plugging in the power, though and does require a simple tuning.

elFloyd;988466 wrote: I think I have an air leak somewhere... I can remove the silencers and plug the holes with my fingers and nothing changes... Noise... Bubbles... Nothing.

Yeah, something's not right.

elFloyd;988466 wrote: I think I have an air leak somewhere... I can remove the silencers and plug the holes with my fingers and nothing changes... Noise... Bubbles... Nothing.

Make sure the becketts are installed the right way up. Screwed that up once and def didnt run right.

The only problem I ever had with my MR2 was inside the beckett. I ended up putting several small dabs of glue on the pointy "arrow" looking thing to get it to quit rattling

Make sure you haven't misplaced the gaskets at the top between the flange pieces at the thumbscrews.

I've seen a lot of people run away from the MRC skimmers for this reason and go with something like I got, a Vertex. I almost got an MRC, but all the noise about how finicky they are scared me away.

Please understand... I've had the MR-R2 running for over a year with no problem. The noise I am experiencing reminds me of my Navy days with jets taking off and landing from an aircraft carrier!

The problem is not with the skimmer... I believe I have an air leak where flex pvc is glued to a fitting in the recirc system. (my build, not MRC.) I am rebuilding that component now and am sure the skimmer will be as quiet as it was last week.

Glad you found the problem! Nothing worse than hunting down issues! :)

SEA Atlanta;988600 wrote: Make sure you haven't misplaced the gaskets at the top between the flange pieces at the thumbscrews.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Told you I would find the stupid mistake of the day!!!

Back