MRC-3 Mod Dilemma...suggestions?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I have a older MRC-3 that has dual becketts. I love the performance but I want to get a little more out of it.

Mod A: Re-circ with a Sedra 5000, Needlewheel
-Add another pump, more power consumption, heat, tougher installation and increased bubble production. (already have the Sedra)

Mod B: Use a feed pump, 600GPH and drill the MRC body to feed the becketts directly. Basically re-circulating the becketts like the new MRCs.
-Add a small feed pump, less heat, less power compumption, a little more bubble production, longer time for waste removal since the water will be moving through the skimmer at a slower rate and easy installation.

Any suggestions?

Drilling the box and adding a recirc pump is basically turning it into an MR-3R. Because you'll have more dwell time inside the skimmer you'll pull out more. Just don't break the thing when doing it :). The boxes, although I don't know about the old ones, already come drilled for a feed pump, just remove center plug between the injectors and add a hose barb.

Make sure you can reach your arm all the way down inside to install a bulkhead before you cut anything. We glue the bulkheads on to avoid any future possible issues with the bulkhead gaskets.

What pump are you using to drive the becketts currently?

I am using a Gen-X Mak 4, 1200GPH. The way I have it set up it's pumping about 3' up to the skimmer, so either Mod would be an advantage.

You have enough pump. I think I hybrid skimmer would be neat to see, but I think turning it into an MR-3R would make more sense.

Honestly that sounds like a great idea. Let me solidify what I am going to do and we can plan a date. I'll even host it at my place.

Yeah, have to agree with Danny here. Option B is definately the way to go-you know it will work.

dawgdude;210033 wrote: maybe we should just put together a meeting for everyone who wants to mod a skimmer and bring drills and stuff. I know there are a bunch of us.

If this workshop gels, please let me know. I'd like to get in on it.

Back