Help with pump decision.

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of redoing how I have my tank running a bit in order to make it more power efficient as well as there being less heat in the tank. Currently I have a Mag 7 or 9 (cant remember) as a return..I want to say it's a 7. I have recently bought a chiller...also have a 40W UV and dual media chamber. I would like to feed everything from the new return pump. If I have to go external then so be it. I really don't have the best knowledge of pumps, esp something that would run all of that equipment. The stand is 36" high and the tank is 24....so at most 60" the return would have to pump up.....Can anyone suggest a good pump that will deliver roughly 600gph to tank, 600 max to chiller and another 250ish for the uv/media. guessing 1500 ballpark. Obviously low operation heat is key. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

I've been pretty happy with the reeflo dart-snapper on my 180 I had setup in the fall. It's running through a manifold feeding a UV, 2 reactors, display and fuge. I've got most of the outputs from the manifold valved down quite a bit with plenty of flow to spare. As for heat, it's hard for me to tell I'm running LED's and Vortechs so very little in the water itself adding heat beyond my heaters which run a good bit, but the pump housing itself is warm but not hot. The best part about it is the noise or lack of it, I can hear my skimmer running over it.

I picked up an iwaki 40 Japanese motor from another member and just did the external install last weekend. Love it. I'm running return and a manifold and getting great flow. Pump is rated 1200 gph @ 4ft head. You could go one model up. I will have to wait and see my tank temp this summer to see if the temp stays lower. I have nvr run a chiller and nvr want to.

I've been looking to upgrade my return pump too. After doing a lot of reading I'm going with a reeflo blowhole. Everybody seems to love the silent operation, three speeds and low heat transfer.

Getting rid of the mag pump and going external will take some of the heat load off your tank. Mag pumps work well and are pretty much bulletproof but not very efficient. I ran a mag 7 on my 65. Replacing it with an external pump dropped my temp over a degree.

Quite an interesting pump...I'll look a little more into that. Thanks.

Don't try and feed media reactors off of your return.

Blueline or iwaki external pumps are fantastic. Waaaaaaaaaay better than the doorstop you're currently using. Look at the BL-40x. We use the bujeesus out of these. Great pumps and your boy J carries them :)

I run a manifold off my return. Had I to do it all over again, I wouldn't. But, if you do, I think a Blueline 70HD would fit the bill. I own three Bluelines including the 70. It will likely run a little under the total GPH you're looking for with head loss but should be pretty close.

Back