Bills Crystal Dynamic Aquarium 225 gal tank upgrade

I was hoping to have all the plumbing done today, but when I added the algae scrubber into the fix, it caused me rethink my plumbing. I was going to run the carbon reactor off of one return and the algae scrubber off the other, but thankfully I installed the platform and algae scrubber...I used some sch 80 pvc to hold of platform, it will be blue pvc as well...I found that I had no room and I would have to over complicate the plumbing to maybe make it work. So I will just run both, the carbon reactor and algae scrubber, off of one return pump. Pics are below, hopefully you will get some idea of what I am planning. I will install another tee just after the left return turns to the left. Then I will install a short piercing pvc to extend it and 90 it upward. I am doing this so the plumbing will run just inside of the steel stand structure. After the 90 I will install a ball valve and then run it up to the top and 90 over to the scrubber. This run is where I will install the flow sensor. Also, I am trying to brace every piece of plumbing I can to keep the unions from leaking. I will epoxy some wood on the top of the inside of the stand, that way it will give me a little more wood to screw supports in for the pvc that will run along the ceiling.

49EDB262-8B98-466B-82BD-250AC1E1ACB5.jpeg

4E32B9FA-BBC7-407D-8812-7504C66A455D.jpeg

27135F9B-41C7-46AA-B864-B136DB77E084.jpeg

D6410DF9-EFF9-4DCA-BBC1-5D3B86C3E517.jpeg

B6E859E9-1C56-499E-B9F5-EC964111B4C1.jpeg

23B2CF28-ED2B-4D6E-A08A-F3A26109B345.jpeg

Below is my plan. I will install the ball valve at the rectangle, the flow sensor at the oval, then I will step it down to 1/2" and install the hand valve at the circle. The grey rectangles is where I will fasten it to the piece of wood I will epoxy to the ceiling.

4E32B9FA-BBC7-407D-8812-7504C66A455D.jpeg

I was able to get the plumbing done enough so that I can fill it with water when I get it moved. I can finish the plumbing to the carbon reactor and algae scrubber down the road if needed.

E9D2DB0D-DB90-4FC3-8CB8-4D695621A4A8.jpeg

30777E40-D4E3-49BD-B30B-90541C12EBDF.jpeg

3ABF175A-6B0E-4619-AF49-E2DD7589409E.jpeg

This is an amazing build, especially with all the details in the plumbing
Thank you. My first build was easy. The plumbing was pretty straight forward. Even then I knew to measure 3 times and cut once. Now fast forward to this build and a far more complex plumbing system. Even now I still make mistakes, thus the details in plumbing. I measure 5 times, cut once, and that usually seems to work. The problem is when you glue it and it becomes permanent. Then their are no take backs. I say for every fitting you think you need, multiply it by 2, LOL!!! I am just being this detailed to help out others, and hopefully they will learn from my mistakes.

Thank you. My first build was easy. The plumbing was pretty straight forward. Even then I knew to measure 3 times and cut once. Now fast forward to this build and a far more complex plumbing system. Even now I still make mistakes, thus the details in plumbing. I measure 5 times, cut once, and that usually seems to work. The problem is when you glue it and it becomes permanent. Then their are no take backs. I say for every fitting you think you need, multiply it by 2, LOL!!! I am just being this detailed to help out others, and hopefully they will learn from my mistakes.
Thats awesome. I think it does help others, I know I learned a lot for build threads in the past.

I think you can get at least one or two, you don't want to miss out😉. I can't wait. This will be my first large reef convention.

I think you can get at least one or two, you don't want to miss out😉. I can't wait. This will be my first large reef convention.
This will me my 2nd Macna, but I have yet to be to a big convention, and it not be influenced by something. I went to Macna 2019, and it was influenced by a hurricane. This one will still be influenced by Covid. Either way you will still GEEK out. Unless you are wanting something that is in high demand, I would wait until the last day, as they will try to unload any frags they have at a discounted price so the don't have to travel back with them.;)

I tore down my second Neptune Cor20 for cleaning today. I was very simple to tear down and clean. Thankfully we’re wasn’t any coraline algae or Vermited snails, so I was just able to use RO/DI water and a few brushes. I was full of detritus though.

138F5FDF-6A44-47F1-908F-E6820141DC0A.jpeg

This plumbing is like a work of art 🖼! I need to borrow some of this talent for my new system 😁 it is a shame that it will be hidden by the tank, work like that needs to be seen!
Right! Not gonna lie, that's why I don't spend much time on my plumbing. As much as I admire all this detail and those that do this, I don't see its worth my time on something that will never be seen or acknowledged after the tank is up and running.

Great work and write up @Billldg

Right! Not gonna lie, that's why I don't spend much time on my plumbing. As much as I admire all this detail and those that do this, I don't see its worth my time on something that will never be seen or acknowledged after the tank is up and running.

Great work and write up @Billldg
I agree, but it wasn't done for looks, it was done for functionality. I planned and did the plumbing this way mainly for ease of maintenance. As much as I want my sump area to look great, I care more about it being easy to maintain. ;)

Back