Best RODI System for small amounts of water at a time?

Hunna

Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I’ve been battling algae lately, and I have a feeling it because there’s TDS’s in the water being used to mix the saltwater I get. I’m not complaining, I get it very cheap, but I’d like to eliminate that as a possibility to get this algae under control.

I have a 25g AIO, with the hopes of getting 4-8 gallon going on the near future. My water changes currently only take 5 gallons, so I’m not needing anything that can produce large volumes quickly. I just need something that can get me that amount in a reasonable amount of time, and while having absolutely 0 TDS’s in it. Any suggestions for a unit that won’t break the bank?

Not sure if there is a "best" out there in brands. All they are, are basically cannisters that hold different types of filtration media. The difference is in the media itself. I prefer BRS 1 micron carbon blocks since they are tested for Chloramine. For sediment filters, I usually buy 1 micron and 10 micron filters from BRS, but mainly due to price during their BF sales. I think GE are the most reliable when it comes to membranes, that's just my personal research tho. No research on the DI Resin other than I prefer a color change one so I know when its exhausted.

Do you plan to have a RO water storage container? Cause if you don't and want to make it on the fly, I highly recommend getting a high GPD unit since you don't want to wait too long to get the water you need.

I see RODI units sold used quite often, that's how I got my first one. Then I just bought all new filter media and still saved a significant amount over new.

Not sure if there is a "best" out there in brands. All they are, are basically cannisters that hold different types of filtration media. The difference is in the media itself. I prefer BRS 1 micron carbon blocks since they are tested for Chloramine. For sediment filters, I usually buy 1 micron and 10 micron filters from BRS, but mainly due to price during their BF sales. I think GE are the most reliable when it comes to membranes, that's just my personal research tho. No research on the DI Resin other than I prefer a color change one so I know when its exhausted.

Do you plan to have a RO water storage container? Cause if you don't and want to make it on the fly, I highly recommend getting a high GPD unit since you don't want to wait too long to get the water you need.

I see RODI units sold used quite often, that's how I got my first one. Then I just bought all new filter media and still saved a significant amount over new.
Thanks for the info! I have a 5 gallon jug that I already keep saltwater in. Figured I would just continue using that and throw a small circulation pump when it comes time to mix the salt in. I’d probably make/mix the water the night before, or start in the morning and get around to it later in the day, so I don’t need a high GPD necessarily.

Exactly as @civics14 said. The systems are essentially plastic piping. They are practically all the same, with the major difference being which brands of filters you use, the quantity of filters, and their age/use since you last replaced them.

The one distinction is some manufacturers use non-standard sizing and connections. In order to try and get you to buy only their products. 99% of the ones you find are good though, so its generally okay to just buy the cheapest brand system.

I prefer to plan for the future when buying equipment that is not tank specific. When I had my 22g I found a 75GPD Air,Water, Ice 5 stage unit on the sales forum here for only $50. It was cheaper than the one you can buy at Petco and it doesn't use proprietary filters. I would recommend keeping an eye on the forums here for a cheap one to be posted.

We have actually had a few RODI systems in our raffles recently.

Back