A Solution for Hair Algae

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Regarding battling Green Hair Algae. Because this is a common problem for beginners; I’ll post a solution that helped me many years ago.

There are lots of other solutions I’d recommend. Depending on your tank, I’d say some are better than others. Slightly oversized protein skimmers can help keep your water clean and prevent it from getting a foothold. Tangs can be wonderful for keeping it in check if you have a bigger tank. Similarly, other grazers such as Starry Blennies can help a little bit in smaller ones. Most of all; just be careful not to overfeed your tank.

Never think of “magic in a bottle” as being a solution to any tank problem. Sure, some products can help solve some problems with an appropriate dose of an unknown (to you) compound. But this should be for emergencies only.

I digress, here’s my steps:
What you need: a toothbrush, 2 opaque (non-clear) storage containers or buckets, 1 lid for these containers, an air pump... and a hose or other means to do a water change.
Steps:
1) Do a big water change; siphon as much sand as you can also. But hold onto the dirty tank water in an opaque (non-clear) plastic storage tub or large bucket.

2) Remove about 25% (up to 50% for nano tanks) of your rockwork to the dirty tank water container. I started at the left side of my tank and worked my way to the right. Be certain not to get any corals, fish, snails, or hermits on these rocks. Double check to see if any sneaked on.

3) Setup an air pump (and possibly a heater, but not required), with the air hose or diffuser weighted down by the rocks, inside your dirty tank water container. This will keep the water aerated.

4) Place the lid on the container. It does not need to be secure; but it does need to block out all light. And wait about 1 week. The idea is that hair algae will starve of light very quickly and become weaker; whereas coralline can survive dark periods for longer, and the bacteria don’t care as much about light.

5) After a week, get a 2nd container and do another water change, saving the new dirty water.

6) Scrub the ‘week 1’ rocks thoroughly with a toothbrush while submerged in the same ‘week 1’ dirty tank water. The hair algae will have lost its grip and slough off the rocks much more easily.

7) After scrubbing each rock, rinse the ‘week 1’ rocks in the ‘week 2’ dirty tank water, before placing the ‘week 1’ rocks back into your tank.

8) Discard the ‘week 1’ dirty tank water... which is now full of hair algae.

9) Choose the next stage of rocks, ‘week 2’ rocks, into the dirty ‘week 2’ tank water.

10) Repeat the process that you did with the ‘week 1’ rocks... until you have done this to all the rocks in your tank. Be sure to rinse (and inspect) each rock before placing it back in your tank.

This won’t solve your problem 100%, but it should help remove most of the nutrients, both suspended and secured in the algae tissues. Your cleanup crew and proper feeding can help with the rest!

Cleanup Crew (CUC):
I recommend:
Trochus Snails, Blue leg hermits, Red leg hermits, Scarlet reef hermits (more expensive but live longer and beautiful), and/or Dwarf Zebra hermits (seem to eat the most, also beautiful).

I don’t recommend: Astrea snails, Turbo Snails. Get rid of these if you have them. It’s just my opinion; but these guys are just time bombs waiting to die and release nutrients to your tank.

Don’t overdo it on the Cleanup Crew: maybe a good starting point is about 1 Trochus for every 4-8 gallons. And about the same for hermits. Other members; what are your thoughts on this amount for beginners?

Down the road: I also love most any serpent sea star variety (most other varieties have shorter life spans, are more difficult to care for, and cost more), nassarius snails, very few but certain crabs, urchins (for bigger tanks only, and with caution), some shrimps (these are hit and miss 50/50), and some sea cucumbers.

Once again; this is all just based on my experience. And I’m sure others will have great input here!!!

I like the GHA clean up method. Great for new tanks before coral is added.

Banded trochus snails are another really good member of the CUC. Tomini Tangs are also good algae eaters and are among some of the smaller tangs but still not for tanks under 60 gallons.

Agreed! I meant only to include Banded Trochus snails. The other species of Trochus are very rare to see up in Chicago.

For all else who are reading this; Banded Trochus snails rock! The look cool, eat tons of algae, speedy, can flip themselves over, relatively hardy, and easily reproduce in aquariums.

So I have mine under control. But I can't get rid of it permanently. I keep getting smaller patches consistently. I just added a second protein skimmer two weeks ago to see if that helps but it has not been long enough to know.

I did have an accident when I was trying to set up an auto feeder that dumped about a weeks worth of food in at once and I am almost back to normal after that.

I am also working on trying to figure out how to build a ATS to see if that helps.

The only other odd though going on with the tank is I now have a lot of red algae like slime growing on the glass.

I am only feeding half a frozen block a day and my two clowns are eating 85-90% if it before it hits the ground.

I have some snails and 10 red/blue crabs and a cleaner shrimp.

Any advice would be appreciated! I have been fighting this from day one!

Agreed! I meant only to include Banded Trochus snails. The other species of Trochus are very rare to see up in Chicago.

For all else who are reading this; Banded Trochus snails rock! The look cool, eat tons of algae, speedy, can flip themselves over, relatively hardy, and easily reproduce in aquariums.
I really chuckled to myself. My banded trochus literally has hair algae growing on it's shell. It's ironic, because I got him to help control it. Luckily my hair algae isn't a problem. I leave it as food for my blenny :D

Any advice would be appreciated! I have been fighting this from day one!

In general; slime Algae’s aren’t true algae. They’re often Cyanobacteria; which are a whole other mess. There are products, such as Erythromycin and/or Chemiclean, which will kill cyano. However, there’s no guarantee that it will kill 100%; even if just a handful of cells survive, it can come back. But I generally find both of these to be very effective. They are generally reef safe, but they will piss off your sensitive corals, kill any sponges or tunicates (I’m uncertain on clams), and sometimes tangs can have a hard time breathing (but I’ve never seen this; in my experience, tangs have been fine).

You could decrease the food amount slightly; down to 1 cube every 3 days. It may help a tiny bit; you don’t want any food getting to the bottom of you can avoid it.

What skimmers are you using?
What species of snails do you have?

Otherwise, removing the rocks and scrubbing with a toothbrush may be the best solution. Hair Algae is considered a pest for a reason; because of the same ordeal you’re going through now.

I had this issue about 6 months ago when I cycled my first reef tank, I tried the toothbrush method at first along with microbubble cleaning and water changes but it didn't work great for me. My best success was with 1/2 3% Hydrogen Peroxide 1/2 tank water dips for any large spots on your rocks. For me it was one of my zoa frags, I dipped the frag for about 1.5 minutes and within a week ALL of the GHA was removed from the piece. Good advice on the turbo snails as well. I got a very large and old turbo which died within a month causing a nitrate spike which made my m. setosa very unhappy to say the least. I'll def look into nassarius snails and trochus snails. Right now I have two turban snails in my 29G BC. Happy reefing everyone!

I had this issue about 6 months ago when I cycled my first reef tank, I tried the toothbrush method at first along with microbubble cleaning and water changes but it didn't work great for me. My best success was with 1/2 3% Hydrogen Peroxide 1/2 tank water dips for any large spots on your rocks. For me it was one of my zoa frags, I dipped the frag for about 1.5 minutes and within a week ALL of the GHA was removed from the piece. Good advice on the turbo snails as well. I got a very large and old turbo which died within a month causing a nitrate spike which made my m. setosa very unhappy to say the least. I'll def look into nassarius snails and trochus snails. Right now I have two turban snails in my 29G BC. Happy reefing everyone!
One of my zoa frags has a bit of hair algae. Are you saying that a freshwater/hydrogen peroxide dip will kill it without harming the zoas? I remove it with tweezers occasionally, but it's impossible to get it all off.

I have about 5 nassarius snails, one large turbo, three Astraea snails. I'm running two reef octopus classic 100- hob

Nassarius snails: wont do crap about algae. They eat detritus. So they’re great! But won’t eat any GHA that grows.

Astraeas and Turbo: They will eat algae. But they are time bombs in my opinion, that die off and release nutrients back into tanks and fuel more algae growth.

What size tank is it?

In your shoes; I would find a store that has Banded Trochus snails. Buy 8 or so of them; and ask them if they would accept some of your snails for store credit.

If they said yes, I would return the Turbo, all the Astraea, and maybe 1-2 of the nassarius (keep a few). And use that credit towards something good down the road. If they don’t give you credit; I would post on here for trade or to give away for free (and in this case, probably keep all the nassarius)

And regarding the skimmer; I don’t have any experience with this one. The brand Reef Octopus is good quality; but generally I find HOB skimmers to be junk quality. So I’m conflicted; does it pull good skimmate? This should look like a thick dark brown paste/sludge/mud.

I wanted a different skimmer but don't have room for one. Which is why I went with the hob. They are both pulling nicely! I unfortunately can't get rid of anything I have at the moment. My nephew is very attached to them. But I will keep an on them and pull them out of they die.

I will look around for some Banded Trochus snails!

Well I respect and fully support that decision regarding the snails. Family comes first, and I may do the same thing if that was the case.

Regarding the skimmers; that’s a bummer, but also a common story. If you are looking at other ones, I would warn you against the IM ghost skimmer made for nano tanks. Don’t waste your money, it doesn’t work well.

I added some large hermit crabs (not those little blue leg ones) and mine is gone. If your interested in trying them, LMK as now I have to feed them nori to keep them alive.

One of my zoa frags has a bit of hair algae. Are you saying that a freshwater/hydrogen peroxide dip will kill it without harming the zoas? I remove it with tweezers occasionally, but it's impossible to get it all off.

The GHA on my zoas was so bad that the polyps were not fully opened, just make sure that before you dip, the polyphs are fully closed. I can't guarantee that it will work for you but I've only really heard success stories with this method just make sure you don't dip them too long.

The GHA on my zoas was so bad that the polyps were not fully opened, just make sure that before you dip, the polyphs are fully closed. I can't guarantee that it will work for you but I've only really heard success stories with this method just make sure you don't dip them too long.

Forgot to mention I wouldn't recommend placing the frag in front of a powerhead like one of the links said. Just be sure to do your research!

My first invasion of gha made me wanna quit! I went on a 10 day cruise and set up an auto feeder. When I got back it looked like a forest! I manually pulled off as much as possible and added a yellow Tang. Followed by several water changes. It was not fun. Took a while to get things right. I learned everything from you tube when I started wished I new about arc then. The guys on here are Soo knowledgeable it makes me sick lol. By the way activeangel recently traded me an acro for some Tonga branches and it's doing awesome so I know he knows his s*!t.

Back