Cleaning off used rock

hsky

Supporting
Reaction score
I recently broke down my 20 gallon tank after obtaining a 60g setup, and I wanted to re-use some of the rock I had. Unfortunately lots of it was covered in hair algae, I have soaked them all in a peroxide solution for a day and dried them out, but theres definitely still remnants. I have half a gallon of white vinegar, would that be an effective soak to kill off the rest of the algae?

Personally, I probably would not reuse the rock since there likely isn't alot from the 20gal. Keep it for down the road and maybe after a year or two, everything will be dead, (sort of joking but not really). Would be a shame to reintroduce baddies into your new setup.

hydrogen peroxide is the way. I would do a whole bottle of peroxide in a 5 gallon bucket with RO water and let it soak another day, should all be dead after that point.

The rock process:
Bleach at 10% for a week.
Rinse with fresh water and soak for a day.
Acid dip, home depot muriatic acid at 10%, for 24 hours. (outside, fumes are toxic and it's messy)
Add a box of baking soda and let it mix for an hour or so and then rinse and soak for 24 hours.
Let the rock dry out for a few days and it's good a new.

This is an broad overview, research the acid before you do it.

Back