Used Rock Prep Tips

sumtingwong

Market
Reaction score
Hey all,

Picked up some used rock (I believe carib-sea) recently from FB marketplace.
I am preparing to set up a new tank and would like to use this rock.

Whats the proper way of preparing these rocks for use in my new tank?
I believe these rocks are "dyed" a purple and I would like to avoid bleaching / acid.

Thank you

If the rocks are used, you want to do what’s called curing. It’s essentially removing all the dead organic matter off the rocks. You can use a brute trash can for this process. At the same time you would be cycling the rock. Once you’re done curing and cycling you would just put the rock in new salt water in your aquarium.

You could also just take a pressure washer or water hose and remove as much organic matter from the rocks.

If the rocks are used, you want to do what’s called curing. It’s essentially removing all the dead organic matter off the rocks. You can use a brute trash can for this process. At the same time you would be cycling the rock. Once you’re done curing and cycling you would just put the rock in new salt water in your aquarium.

You could also just take a pressure washer or water hose and remove as much organic matter from the rocks.
thank you, would I be using saltwater or freshwater during the cure?

I guess technically you could just use freshwater (RODI) but that will not help you with the cycling process. To knock two birds out with one stone, I would use saltwater and also make sure you keep the water heated. If you want to speed up the cycling process, add some type of bacteria and food source. I like Fritz turbo start 900 for bacteria and use Dr Tim’s ammonia for food.

I’ve been doing an extended (over 1 year) curing/cycling process for some rocks that I have. Whenever I remember, I put some ammonia (food) to feed the bacteria.
84CFFD3A-27BB-405C-8AC2-A99883814849.jpeg899A8401-54AE-4F8E-A5D4-B4CCF4188327.jpeg34A7D0D2-433F-45B0-8B2C-83AF17B59FC2.jpeg

I guess technically you could just use freshwater (RODI) but that will not help you with the cycling process. To knock two birds out with one stone, I would use saltwater and also make sure you keep the water heated. If you want to speed up the cycling process, add some type of bacteria and food source. I like Fritz turbo start 900 for bacteria and use Dr Tim’s ammonia for food.

I’ve been doing an extended (over 1 year) curing/cycling process for some rocks that I have. Whenever I remember, I put some ammonia (food) to feed the bacteria.
View attachment 85066View attachment 85067View attachment 85068
That's some mighty nice rock you have there!

Used Rock process:

1: BLEACH 10:1 ratio of RO and bleach, leave it in there with a power head for a week.
2: RO rinse, drain the bleach and rinse with fresh water and let it dry for a day.
3: ACID. Get muriatic acid from HD, sme 5:1 ratio with RO. It will bubble up like crazy for about an hour. Wait at least 4 hours (I wait 24)
4: RO rinse and pressure washing to get all the funk off.
5: Dry for a few days.
6: Put rock in new saltwater with a heater, power head, some ammonia starter, bacteria starter and if possible a rock from your tank. and give it 2-3 weeks.

what happens if you don't do this and you just "cycle" it in a new tank. asking for a friend

Back