How did you start up your tank... dry rock or live rock?

biocubebrandon

Market
Reaction score
When you set up your tank did you go with dry rock or live rock, why?

Some combinations may be:

Dry rock , dry sand

Live rock, live sand

Live rock, dry sand

Dry rock, live sand

For me I always have used dry rock and dry sand. I knew it would take longer but preventing unwanted hitch hikers in my tank was worth the wait for me. I also use a bacteria startup liquid with this method. Since I usually add a lot of rock to my tanks any other tanks that I would set up I would take some rocks/sand from the established tank and then add it in combination with new dry rock to start up another tank faster.

I did live rock and live sand to make it cycle faster. if i had to do it again I would of done dry rock live sand. dealt with a lot of pests and still dealing with it.

I did dry rock with live sand. I used Carib Sea’s ocean direct live sand and their south seas base rock. I wanted to avoid all the hitchhikers that come with live rock but if I were to do it again, I’d probably do at least half live rock. My ugly stage lasted way too long and I had to struggle with hair algae and brown sand for longer than I should have. I think, in spite of some pests, most of the life you get on live rock is important for establishing biodiversity early on.

Fwiw, I’ve done both in the past.
Now, I would only use dry rock for the reasons mentioned above ^.

CaribSea Special Seafloor grade for the substrate. It’s more maintenance, but I don’t care for the look of bare bottom tanks.

I also use starter bacteria, with Fritzyme being the prior choice with good results.
This time it will be Tropic Marin’s Bio Actif & Prodibio products, for diversity.

Back