Beginner to the salt world

Mr.Fishy

Reaction score
Ok so first off I’m Chris, I just want to say I love this forum. I’ve been on here for a few days just trying to take in as much as I can while I’m waiting on the books I’ve ordered that I’ve seen suggested by other users on a different forum before I found this one.
But now a short little back story I’ve wanted a reef tank since I can remember but my dad said I was too young for one and when I finally turned 17 I was able to get my first 30g fresh water had that for a few months then went down hill because I didn’t know what i was doing. I researched and then upgraded to a 55g fresh water and I did everything the right way and by the book and I kept it running with no problems for about 2-3 years and I was out of town and my dad added the wrong treatment by accident and shocked the whole tank. So that was 12 years ago and now I’m ready to give it a go again. My plan is to get my hands on a 100g tank and have the reef I’ve always wanted. But it’s going to be a while until then, so until that day I’m going to research and read as much as possible. So now would anyone be so generous and give me a rundown for the ideal set up from top to bottom for a beginner. I’d like to be able to set up a “budget” per say so I have an idea on the amount I need to put back? I’d say the in between products like the ones that arent cheap but also won’t break the bank for one piece. I’m pretty sure the prices will fluctuate and newer pieces will come out by the time I’m ready but I’ll worry about that when it gets closer for me to take the plunge haha.
But I just want to thank you to everyone that will take the time to real this and is willing to share!

im sorry that this is a long post.
thank you again,
Chris

"Ideal" is completely subjective man. Seriously. My first tank was a 32g BioCube reef tank. That was two years ago. Also, what you want in your tank will dictate what you need to run your tank. As I often say, there's no one "right way" to do it. That's one of the hundreds of reasons I personally love this hobby. I'm happy to have you over and answer questions though.

Welcome to the ARC. You're going to learn soooo much :D

I agree with @Shawn

Fortunately, the two most common restrictions with new tanks (space in the house for a tank, and price/expenses) scale with each other. Both are largely determined by available floor space. A larger tank will likely require more expensive equipment such as lighting, but will offer many additional benefits.

You mention looking at a 100g reef tank, this is a good size that offers lots of flexibility. I’d suggest as an ideal first tank to be a 75-120g tank. If we just look at two common examples of a 120g:
  1. There is the 4’ long dimensions. This tank gives you the water volume and it’s associated stability, and the 2’ width of the tank gives lots of flexibility for aquascaping. Additionally, because it is only 4’ long, you can easily reduce your lighting budget compared with a 6’ tank... so it’s cheaper too. But the downside is that you’re slightly restricting yourself from some of the medium-large fish such as the classic yellow tang. Even though these fish don’t get too big, they prefer the longer uninterrupted swimming room of a 6’+ tank.
  2. There is the 6’ long dimensions. This opens up the door a bit on a few fish species, and allows a little extra room for territory disputes. However, your light budget will be significantly higher initially. Plus you don’t get the same tank width and height that allows flexibility with aqua-scaping.

This is just 1 example of how choosing an ideal tank is a very personal choice. The Pros and Con’s with each choice will be weighted differently based on your unique preferences.

Nonetheless, I’d say for the whole setup, you will be looking at:
  • Tank (reef-ready aka drilled)
  • Stand and Canopy
  • Lighting
  • Sump
  • 1 Return pump + plumbing
  • 1-2 Heater(s)
  • 1 Oversized Protein skimmer
  • 2-4 Circulation Pumps
  • Reef Sand and Rock
  • Refractometer
  • Test Kits (at first, just Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate
  • some form of Auto-Top-Off (ATO) system. This can be as complex or cheap as you need.
  • ...and if your area is prone to power outages, a portable generator.
As you are just getting into reefing, I would suggest the stuff that you DONT need at the very beginning: a Doser, Calcium and Alkalinity and other Test kits, any unmentioned form of Reactors. These things are nice, and you will want them later. But you dont need to purchase them all in the beginning if you want to save on your expenses.

Last edited:
Welcome! Agree with above :) Also, research and determine your placement of the tank in your home. Is it going on a slab or joists? Will it be running parallel or perpendicular to the joists, along an outside wall, near windows- sunlight, etc. Will you have room to work around the tank? Those factors can also affect what size or dimensions of a tank would work best for you.

Welcome to ARC and to the Hobby! We are glad to have you. Please keep asking more of your questions. And there is no such thing as a "budget" in this hobby...lol. I would agree with what everyone has said before me. I looked around here and also on facebook for deals. You are bound to find something within your "budget" if you look hard enough.

Welcome!

You mentioned you are on a budget, my 2 cents... BUY USED LOCALLY!!!

I got my first reef tank at 16, and like most 16-year-olds, didn't have very solid finances. I saved literally ~70% on the price of a full setup just by looking at local sites like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, as well as eventually this forum. Take for example dry rock. Stores will often sell for $5+/lb for dry rock, but you can typically find it for <$2/lb locally (do the math, this difference adds up pretty quickly). The same goes for literally anything else -- there are always people looking to sell their setups or used equipment, which will always be significantly cheaper than the new price. Obviously, there are some perks to buying new, and there are certainly some risks to buying locally, but I've found if you are careful and do your research, you can save a significant amount of money and probably meet some people within the community along the way. If you find that you really love the hobby, and want to invest more money, you can always upgrade to higher-end stuff, and keep your old equipment as a backup or resell it.

Thanks everyone I’m excited to finally get to start the tank I’ve always wanted and I in the research stage now so I’ll be on the forums and hitting the books takeoff notes etc. and I say “budget” for only a start up lol. I know the sky is the limit for these tanks and I’m prepared. My only problem is I have a project car and a daily that I’m working one so my guess is the cars will be on hold for a while lol

Welcome to ARC!!!

You're starting right by researching and reading as much as you can before jumping in the deep end. That will payoff significantly down the road.

Like ActiveAngle said there's many places to start and a wide array of tank sizes in range your looking at. The two foot wide tanks offer more room front to back and give you the space to aqua scape better. Deciding on the fish you want to keep will be a big deciding factor on the tank. Just remember costs go up exponentially the larger & longer you go, with the biggest factor being lighting if you plan to keep coral. Most people end up upgrading within a year or two of getting their first system up and running. Taking that into account now will be very helpful and much less costly. You'll only get pennies on the dollar selling used equipment, maybe dimes if you're lucky.

On a 120 gallon 4' x 2' I'd plan on $2500 to $3k initially and the same within the next 24 months. That is based on a full reef tank, if you're going to do a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) the later expenses will be significantly lower. Buying used will help a lot too.

Good luck with the cars and ask any questions you may have with the aquarium as they come up.

So I’ve seen people talk about drilling tank do you have to drill in the tank or is it possible to set it up other ways

So I’ve seen people talk about drilling tank do you have to drill in the tank or is it possible to set it up other ways
There are tanks that are "reef ready" that are already drilled. Drilling a tank is for tanks that don't have some type of overflow that goes down into your sump. Another way around drilling a non-drilled aquarium is to get a hang on the back overflow. Some people even run canister filters but not many people that have a reef do this because they say it's more of a hassle to do so.

Ok so first off I’m Chris, I just want to say I love this forum. I’ve been on here for a few days just trying to take in as much as I can while I’m waiting on the books I’ve ordered that I’ve seen suggested by other users on a different forum before I found this one.
But now a short little back story I’ve wanted a reef tank since I can remember but my dad said I was too young for one and when I finally turned 17 I was able to get my first 30g fresh water had that for a few months then went down hill because I didn’t know what i was doing. I researched and then upgraded to a 55g fresh water and I did everything the right way and by the book and I kept it running with no problems for about 2-3 years and I was out of town and my dad added the wrong treatment by accident and shocked the whole tank. So that was 12 years ago and now I’m ready to give it a go again. My plan is to get my hands on a 100g tank and have the reef I’ve always wanted. But it’s going to be a while until then, so until that day I’m going to research and read as much as possible. So now would anyone be so generous and give me a rundown for the ideal set up from top to bottom for a beginner. I’d like to be able to set up a “budget” per say so I have an idea on the amount I need to put back? I’d say the in between products like the ones that arent cheap but also won’t break the bank for one piece. I’m pretty sure the prices will fluctuate and newer pieces will come out by the time I’m ready but I’ll worry about that when it gets closer for me to take the plunge haha.
But I just want to thank you to everyone that will take the time to real this and is willing to share!

im sorry that this is a long post.
thank you again,
Chris

I've got a 93 cube tank, sump, stand, and canopy I will make you a good deal on if you want. I will include all of the piping needed. You would just need the skimmer, return pump, heater, to get the basics set up down below.

Last edited:
I've got a 93 cube tank, sump, stand, and canopy I will make you a good deal on if you want. I will include all of the piping needed. You would just need the skimmer, return pump, heater, to get the basics set up down below.
As much as I’d love to take you up on that I’ve been off work from Covid and I’m still technically a Mississippi resident since I haven’t changed my stuff over yet so I couldn’t claim UI so I don’t have an income at the moment but I really appreciate the offer

There are tanks that are "reef ready" that are already drilled. Drilling a tank is for tanks that don't have some type of overflow that goes down into your sump. Another way around drilling a non-drilled aquarium is to get a hang on the back overflow. Some people even run canister filters but not many people that have a reef do this because they say it's more of a hassle to do so.
How can you tell if the glass is tempered or not and is safe to drill?

How can you tell if the glass is tempered or not and is safe to drill?
That I cannot tell you as I haven't done it before. But I believe there are videos on YouTube about it and that could help. I'm actually going to drill a tank in the near future so I'm going to do my research.

That I cannot tell you as I haven't done it before. But I believe there are videos on YouTube about it and that could help. I'm actually going to drill a tank in the near future so I'm going to do my research.
Alright well let us know how it goes because it sounds like you will be at that point before I’m ready to start anything yet lol

Put on polarized sunglasses. If you see designs in the glass then it's tempered :D Just be sure to look at the glass from numerous angles.

Put on polarized sunglasses. If you see designs in the glass then it's tempered :D Just be sure to look at the glass from numerous angles.
Hmm, I never knew you could do that now I just have to get some new lenses for the Oakley’s

Oh I was thinking can I just do a fowlr tank first then add coral? I know the lighting would be a big issue and is a pretty penny but it was just a thought if I could start that first then add the coral later. Or could i get the coral lighting For the fowlr tank so I would need to upgrade the lights when I add coral?

Hmm, I never knew you could do that now I just have to get some new lenses for the Oakley’s
You know when your wearing polarized sunglasses and you see patterns on a car windows? That's because the windows on vehicles are tempered. Same thing with aquarium glass.
Oh I was thinking can I just do a fowlr tank first then add coral? I know the lighting would be a big issue and is a pretty penny but it was just a thought if I could start that first then add the coral later. Or could i get the coral lighting For the fowlr tank so I would need to upgrade the lights when I add coral?
Yes, you absolutely can. Just be sure you still get a good, over sized, skimmer and plan out the sump for addons that will happen later. For people on a budget there's nothing worse than having to buy the same piece of equipment twice. Been there done that... You think you're being frugal skimping on things early on thinking it'll get you by till you need something better only to find out your not going to get anywhere near what you paid for the original items. The only time doing so makes sense is when buying something used, let the other person take the hit on the depreciation. But when buying new spend the extra money now because it will save you in the long run. Also if you're going to buy a controller or other life support item, heaters for instance, buy new. The longevity and warranty on the item will be a blessing if something goes south.

Another recommendation I try to give all noobs to saltwater is to get out and see other members tanks. I know it's hard with Covid now but when you can do so. Like many have said there's no real wrong way to setup a system. Seeing how people do things differently to accomplish the same task will be a big help in deciding how you want to approach your own setup.

Back