Beginner to the salt world

Oh I was thinking can I just do a fowlr tank first then add coral? I know the lighting would be a big issue and is a pretty penny but it was just a thought if I could start that first then add the coral later. Or could i get the coral lighting For the fowlr tank so I would need to upgrade the lights when I add coral?
This is a great way to get started! A FOWLR is a great way to get started on a budget. Just make sure that any fish you add will be compatible with corals, or you'll find yourself having to make a difficult choice down the line.

Another recommendation I try to give all noobs to saltwater is to get out and see other members tanks. I know it's hard with Covid now but when you can do so. Like many have said there's no real wrong way to setup a system. Seeing how people do things differently to accomplish the same task will be a big help in deciding how you want to approach your own setup.
Hopefully Covid will disappear after the election lol. But for a future note is anyone close douglasville, Hiram, or villa rica area? Then that way I could get to know some members on a closer level instead of just behind a screen. And being able to see their tanks in person and see exactly how everything was done.

Sand or bare bottom is a highly debated topic. If you decide on sand I recommend dry sand and not "Live". The grade of sand you get is going to be dependant on the livestock and corals you plan to keep.

Finer grade sands look good but as flow increases it will blow around very easily. If you ever plan to keep SPS coral then you'll want something coarser. Tropic Eden Meso Flakes or Reef Flakes are a good choice. So is Caribsea Arogonite Special Grade Dry.

Sand or bare bottom is a highly debated topic. If you decide on sand I recommend dry sand and not "Live". The grade of sand you get is going to be dependant on the livestock and corals you plan to keep.

Finer grade sands look good but as flow increases it will blow around very easily. If you ever plan to keep SPS coral then you'll want something coarser. Tropic Eden Meso Flakes or Reef Flakes are a good choice. So is Caribsea Arogonite Special Grade Dry.
What’s the difference between live and dry sand? Like the rock I had no idea there was a dry rock but I guess you will learn something new every day especially when it comes to this hobby lol

What’s the difference between live and dry sand? Like the rock I had no idea there was a dry rock but I guess you will learn something new every day especially when it comes to this hobby lol
Live sand is a product that has a dormant bacteria blend added too it, nothing more. There are much better products on the market for that. Buying dry aragonite sand also gives you the ability to rinse all of the fine particles and dust from it. If you rinse a "Live" sand you're rinsing away the dormant bacteria.

With live rock, it's harder and harder to come by and also brings with it the likelihood of introducing unwanted pests.

Live sand is a product that has a dormant bacteria blend added too it, nothing more. There are much better products on the market for that. Buying dry aragonite sand also gives you the ability to rinse all of the fine particles and dust from it. If you rinse a "Live" sand you're rinsing away the dormant bacteria.

With live rock, it's harder and harder to come by and also brings with it the likelihood of introducing unwanted pests.
So now it’s basically almost all dry rock and then you have to cure it yourself then? So how long does that normally take and do you do it all at once or do you cycle the tank then add dry rock and continue to cycle to develop the needed bacteria on the rock? Or do rinse the sand add that at the dry rock and fill with water and cycle altogether? Or do you cycle the tank cured the rock and then rinse and add the sand?

Welcome to the club!

How far are you on you list of things to get ?
Have you figured out what size tank you will start with?

also I recommend getting RODi unit and water Storage bucket right away so you can make water and or even start cycling your dead rock for future tank.
Don’t forget testing equipment, salinity checker, water testing kits

So now it’s basically almost all dry rock and then you have to cure it yourself then? So how long does that normally take and do you do it all at once or do you cycle the tank then add dry rock and continue to cycle to develop the needed bacteria on the rock? Or do rinse the sand add that at the dry rock and fill with water and cycle altogether? Or do you cycle the tank cured the rock and then rinse and add the sand?
That's pretty much the jist of it. The whole system cycles at the same time. Brightwell has a product call Microbacter Start XLM and Fritz has one called FritzZyme TurboStart. Both are very good.

That's not ot to say you can't do true live rock. Many LFS's have it. There's also Tampa Bay rock its more expensive and there are risks. But many swear by it.

Welcome to the club!

How far are you on you list of things to get ?
Have you figured out what size tank you will start with?

also I recommend getting RODi unit and water Storage bucket right away so you can make water and or even start cycling your dead rock for future tank.
Don’t forget testing equipment, salinity checker, water testing kits
Thanks I’m glad to be here. But I’m no where close to getting things yet. I’m in the process of researching all I can right now. I do have 2 older tanks ones a 30g and the other is 55g both were fresh water when I was younger. But I’m planning on doing a 100g+ tank depending on what I can get. I do know I want atleast a 100g regardless lol but as of starting wise as much as I hate to say it but it’s going to be a while until you can see a building thread from me but atleast I can say I know I’ll have the patience for the hobby haha knowing how bad I want to start now but knowing I can’t right now.

That's pretty much the jist of it. The whole system cycles at the same time. Brightwell has a product call Microbacter Start XLM and Fritz has one called FritzZyme TurboStart. Both are very good.

That's not ot to say you can't do true live rock. Many LFS's have it. There's also Tampa Bay rock its more expensive and there are risks. But many swear by it.
Thanks, I’ll have to look into them when I get to that point. I want the true live rock so i could skip curing but I also kinda wanna build a custom one and avoid stacking

Back