Aquarium store

Jsantana822

Reaction score
Kind of annoyed that that the only lfs in my area are an hour away either in Fayetteville or in Stone Mountain. Anyone know of any fish stores coming to south atlanta.

Also just a thought what would it take to start an aquarium store? Anyone know of any suppliers ? Just curious

To start an aquarium store: you’ll need a physical location, a wholesalers license, and a whole bunch of capital to set up all your initial tanks.

It’s a surprising lot of work, and many stores fail, even in an unsaturated market. One of my good friends said that he wishes he never opened an official brick-and-mortar LFS and simply continued selling out of his basement (where he usually had 20 tanks of frags, fish, and even sharks daily). It was much easier, less stressful, and more profitable he claims. Additionally, if running an LFS, most of your profit will actually come from small items such as clean up crew, not frags or fish.

I’m in the same boat, although I don’t mind the commute. The store in Stone Mountain you are talking about is Nemo correct? Awesome store but no longer a sponsor of the club so I no longer go there. Now I don’t know if Fayetteville and Peachtree city are all that close to each other but the only store i know of on the south side of town is Off The Hook which I don’t find to be all that great. They were once a sponsor I believe but I don’t see them on the current sponsor list so they lost my business as well. They were quite pricey anyway. Now my favorite store was Nemo’s in Duluth but once again they are no longer a sponsor of the club so I have chosen to go with Atlanta Aquarium just 10 minutes away. I like to spend my money with sponsors of ARC or members as this is the way to get more bang for your buck with the reef club’s 10% discount at LFS sponsors, members of the club almost always have amazing prices in my experience in comparison to a LFS. Also there are quite a few members either on or near the south end of town if you go looking for a specific area of town. I can only give my opinion here but I am not a fan of shopping online as I like to view my coral and fish in person, too many past issues with online retailers.

I’m in the same boat, although I don’t mind the commute. The store in Stone Mountain you are talking about is Nemo correct? Awesome store but no longer a sponsor of the club so I no longer go there. Now I don’t know if Fayetteville and Peachtree city are all that close to each other but the only store i know of on the south side of town is Off The Hook which I don’t find to be all that great. They were once a sponsor I believe but I don’t see them on the current sponsor list so they lost my business as well. They were quite pricey anyway. Now my favorite store was Nemo’s in Duluth but once again they are no longer a sponsor of the club so I have chosen to go with Atlanta Aquarium just 10 minutes away. I like to spend my money with sponsors of ARC or members as this is the way to get more bang for your buck with the reef club’s 10% discount at LFS sponsors, members of the club almost always have amazing prices in my experience in comparison to a LFS. Also there are quite a few members either on or near the south end of town if you go looking for a specific area of town. I can only give my opinion here but I am not a fan of shopping online as I like to view my coral and fish in person, too many past issues with online retailers.
That’s correct nemo and off the hook . I’m in McDonough. So both are quite a ways away . I might try Atlanta aquarium soon . Thank you

Hello All,
Try fish bowl in Griffin and fish bolz in Jonesboro. Neither are top notch but worth a try if you are in the area.

The fish bowl in Jonesboro is of poor quality once you e been to a few of the current sponsor’s establishments. Very dirty looking tanks and a small selection. It’s like comparing Quick Trip to BP or Walmart to K mart

That’s correct nemo and off the hook . I’m in McDonough. So both are quite a ways away . I might try Atlanta aquarium soon . Thank you
RIT @ Atlanta Aquarium was my favorite store when I had tanks set up. I traveled 90 + miles one way coming from Macon Georgia. Personal experience, RIT will not sell you something you don’t need. My limited visits; RIT never forgot my name. His selection was incredible. I truly liked “RIT’s In House Weekly Specials”. Great deals for sure.

These was a reef store @ I-75; exit 222. It was o.k., but it went out of business a couple of years ago.

wannabee

Also just a thought what would it take to start an aquarium store? Anyone know of any suppliers ? Just curious

Been there, done that. Had a 10,000 sq. foot grow facility, I was a lucky one, built it and sold it, but I will tell you, you will need at least $350K to startup a shop, properly outfit it so it doesn't look like you are doing it on a shoe string budget, be willing to eat packets of sugar and water for a year, put everything back into the business, and hire a couple of very knowledgable employees that have the same passion you do. That was key for me, the day I hired Josh was the best day of my life b/c he ran the shop like it was his when I wasn't there the 1 day a week I spent time with my wife and kids. Look Pure Reef, they are the gold standard for what a shop should look and operate like, then ask yourself when was the last time you went in and Jorge or Angela weren't in the store working, I have only NOT seen Matt there a couple times. It will CONSUME you! Premier Aquatics esthetically is a great looking shop, but I would change everything about their fish and coral section.

Now, Maintenance and LED's is where I can have a great balance. I did speak with my wife, and had I lost my full time job b/c of COVID-19, I would have opened another shop, b/c I do miss it. I miss the people the most. Strat small, see if you can really see yourself doing it. There are a few corals guys on here that seem to sell a lot of corals on here, so if you just want some extra income, start with 2 lowboys, spend about $4k on mother colonies and start growing, cutting, growing, cutting. Nobody wants stuff ripped out of the ocean, and that is a good thing, so try and buy as much non-wild as possible.

I have a ton of contacts if you are serious and want to order corals, or equipment.

RIT @ Atlanta Aquarium was my favorite store when I had tanks set up. I traveled 90 + miles one way coming from Macon Georgia. Personal experience, RIT will not sell you something you don’t need. My limited visits; RIT never forgot my name. His selection was incredible. I truly liked “RIT’s In House Weekly Specials”. Great deals for sure.

These was a reef store @ I-75; exit 222. It was o.k., but it went out of business a couple of years ago.

wannabee

Glad to see you are still in the hobby :)

Props to another macon person (i'm in forsyth, so a tiny bit closer lol).... I know the struggle lol!

Glad to see you are still in the hobby :)

Props to another macon person (i'm in forsyth, so a tiny bit closer lol).... I know the struggle lol!
I’m now sight seeing while passing through an old neighborhood [ARC]. I’ve got 3 empty glass bowls that haven’t had water in them for 4 years now. A lot of equipment that I never took out of the packaging.

ARC has changed so much since then; majority of folks have gone to new adventures. I’m preparing for retirement myself and with my income; glass bowls will remain empty. Maybe l’ll get the opportunity to window shop when I’m near a reef store. That would be a Great day indeed!
- wannabee

I’m now sight seeing while passing through an old neighborhood [ARC]. I’ve got 3 empty glass bowls that haven’t had water in them for 4 years now. A lot of equipment that I never took out of the packaging.

ARC has changed so much since then; majority of folks have gone to new adventures. I’m preparing for retirement myself and with my income; glass bowls will remain empty. Maybe l’ll get the opportunity to window shop when I’m near a reef store. That would be a Great day indeed!
- wannabee
like they say.... you're never FULLY out lol! I've tried to get out and always been half in/half out lol! LMK if you have anything cool for sale equip wise! Congrats on almost retirement!

Back