What can non-ARC members see on this website?

driggans

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a few questions below that may be of interest to new members (and me as well!). I asked this in another thread, but it didn't get answered. I want to make sure I understand what non-ARC members can and cannot see when they come on the ARC website:

1. Can non-ARC members access and navigate all or most of the content in the forums, read messages/posts, etc?
2. Can non-ARC members (or ARC members for that matter) read messages specifically addressed to an individual (I believe they are referred to as PMs) through this website?
3. Can non-ARC members post messages on the website?

Thank you to whoever can answer these!
David

I believe non members can read anything that is publicly posted in all open forums. They cannot read the supporters forum nor can they see attachments. If you want, log out and you can see everything they can see.
No one should have access to your PMs unless you’ve shared your password and someone else can access your account or somehow your account gets hacked.
non members can post but they must have a username and be logged in to post. I know some forums have guest posting privileges but I’ve never seen it here

I believe non members can read anything that is publicly posted in all open forums. They cannot read the supporters forum nor can they see attachments. If you want, log out and you can see everything they can see.
No one should have access to your PMs unless you’ve shared your password and someone else can access your account or somehow your account gets hacked.
non members can post but they must have a username and be logged in to post. I know some forums have guest posting privileges but I’ve never seen it here
Thank you hiimsean!
OK, it sounds like non-members can do most everything that members can do. The only real way to prevent mistaken identity is through PMs then. If I buy anything on here again, I'll make sure to only contact members using PMs.

heimdel-asgardian.gif

It's been recently brought up on the forums to remove the ability for unregistered users from seeing the marketplace at all.
We forgot to talk about it during Monday night's Zoom meeting.

It's always best to confirm your interest or intent to buy something in the sales thread. But share private info in PM/DM's only.

Thank you hiimsean!
OK, it sounds like non-members can do most everything that members can do. The only real way to prevent mistaken identity is through PMs then. If I buy anything on here again, I'll make sure to only contact members using PMs
So there’s a difference between non members and guests. Nonmembers have created an account on the forum. They can see almost all forums and can post and send PMs. Guests can see almost everything but cannot post or send PMs.
If you look at the bottom of the forum main page it will tell you how many guests and member are online. I assume members are anyone who has an account on the board.
D0E80DF4-5799-479B-91AA-F093B8AC89A6.jpeg

So there’s a difference between non members and guests. Nonmembers have created an account on the forum. They can see almost all forums and can post and send PMs. Guests can see almost everything but cannot post or send PMs.
If you look at the bottom of the forum main page it will tell you how many guests and member are online. I assume members are anyone who has an account on the board.
View attachment 68679
This is correct.

Currently there are multiple usable levels, and some are assigned automatically Bold, and some aren't in use right now Italics. Each open up accessibility in some shape or form.

Administrative
ARC Officer
Board of Directors
Contest Committee
Expo Committee
Holiday Raffle Holiday Raffle
Lifetime Member
Marketplace
Moderating
Online Sponsor
Registered
Sponsor
Sponsor Coordinators
Supporting Member
Unregistered / Unconfirmed (Guest)

Zoa Contestant

When you come to the site for the first time you are Unregistered / Unconfirmed (This includes Bots). After you sign up on the site with a username and password you are automatically moved into the Registered group and can see most of the site. From there to start a new thread in the ARC Marketplace you either make 25 posts (that aren't in the market, those don't count towards post totals) and get moved into the Marketplace group or pay to be a Supporting Member and get that access instantly. Other than node groups for Moderating & Private Administrative the ones opened up for Supporting members is the Lounge, BoD Discussion and ARC Members Private Forum all of the forum is open to see for all. It's just the ability to start a thread in the Market that is restricted. All of the other groups must be assigned by an admin.

There is a lot of customizability that can be done and it's very much like layers of an onion. There just hasn't been a need to do more and there are some things the just didn't know that we didn't know. We are always open to suggestions though. If anyone has any further questions please ask away!

Back