Upcoming year highlights?

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
So fresh new year, would like to plan some tank highlights. There’s a few highlights I would want to try and find. Would love if club can sponsor some prizes for these events @jcook54 . Maybe a GC or something. If not I’ll figure something out. Maybe a GC to our restaurant for sushi ;)

But I’d like to start off with finding the oldest running tank. Would love to sit down and down the changes you made over the years with both livestock and equipment. Would like to do a feature by end of march.

Please post on here age of tank. Thanks in advance.

The BOD voted to offer a $100 Gift card to the LFS of your choice if your tank is featured in @ecoreefguy 's Tank Spotlight, so don't be shy. Who has the longest running tank?

I'll start. My 180 is celebrating one year and 4 months. Surely someone out there can beat that!

my tank was 5-6 years old and then during a move to the basement it crashed and killed nearly all of the sps colony. it's been about 2 years since the crash but the growth and the coloration are not what it used to be despite the fact that i'm using mostly the same equipment minus the sand bed.

I definitely don't have the oldest, but my current display (Planet 125g) was set up September 23rd 2020, so just over three years now. Though I have had crashes over the years, it's still got a few of the original corals from way back in 2018 when I first set up a big tank.
My 24g nano has been set up since summer of the same year, 3 and a half years. It is, however, not pretty, so I doubt it's deserving of mention.

My 60g started it's life as a FOWLR in 2005. I swapped the glass tank itself out in 2012 when I changed it to a reef ready system and got rid of the overflow box! The only thing original about the system from 2005 is some live rock so I'm not sure if it counts. I've got through sever iterations of lights. New sumps, pumps, powerheads and skimmers. Bit of a 'ship of Theseus' but it's been the same basic setup since 2012. Now that I think about it, I may be due to pull everything out and re aquascape it.

My 60g started it's life as a FOWLR in 2005. I swapped the glass tank itself out in 2012 when I changed it to a reef ready system and got rid of the overflow box! The only thing original about the system from 2005 is some live rock so I'm not sure if it counts. I've got through sever iterations of lights. New sumps, pumps, powerheads and skimmers. Bit of a 'ship of Theseus' but it's been the same basic setup since 2012. Now that I think about it, I may be due to pull everything out and re aquascape it.
Before the reset I would love to plan a highlight. a 10+ year successful tank needs to be talked about!

Reading through @Adam thread and would love to see a deep dive when he feels comfortable in doing so. That is a beast of a tank and I know it took a lot of hard work and some help to get where he is with it. He puts a lot of good info in the threads but seeing it in a video would be cool.

I suspect that my tank is older than most on here. It's a 175 gallon acrylic bowfront in a custom cherry stand that looks built in, but actually has a narrow room behind it for service access.

It's been running continuously since 2007, moving from a FOWLR tank to a reef tank and back along the way. Multiple iterations of lights from T8 bulbs to T5 bulbs to LED's, and lots of pumps, heaters, etc., but the tank, sump, skimmer and fuge have been in continuous service for the past 17 years. It's gone through a couple of crashes and resets, but has always rebounded quickly!

Unfortunately they say that all good things must come to an end, and so it is with my aquarium hobby. Due to changing interests and schedules (retirement travel anyone?) I'll be posting this all on a for sale thread soon!

Here's a couple of photos from it in its prime.

Attachments

• DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0258.JPG
    DSC_0258.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0008 (2).JPG
    DSC_0008 (2).JPG