Unintended fish stocking consequences or murder mystery?

Cook

President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I have purchased several tanks that came with fish, so I'll start by saying that some of my livestock choices were dictated by whatever we acquired with those. Most of these fish have all lived together in my 85 gallon for about a year now. The most notable potential trouble makers in my tank are a snowflake eel and within the last 6 months, a Flamefin Tomini tang. The eel was previously living with a pair of clowns that are also in the tank and the eel is of course my son's favorite. The Tomini, I added last to try to help control my GHA problem.

The Tomini has hated on my wife's favorite fish, a lawnmower blenny, more so since the quarantine where it was easier for us to observe the behavior. The Tomini could be on the opposite side of the tank and make a bee line for the blenny at any point in the day forcing him to scurry somewhere the Tomini couldn't follow. The clown's don't put up with him and have been known to defend the blenny. The blenny has otherwise seemed OK. You know where this is going, as of yesterday, without a trace, no more lawnmower blenny. I took some time today to search for him and there is nothing. For the last several days, I would say that he was in one place than normal and he usually also eats mysis when I feed. He did not participate during Sunday's feeding. I have been dosing Vibrant for the last 5 weeks, which by the way, my GHA algae is still laughing at, so I don't know if I created some issues for the blenny in doing that or not. I still have film algae on the glass, but no sweet blenny kisses and no sign of him. My son told me that he had observed the Tomini chase the Blenny into the cave area where the eel is likely to be during the day, I had not seen that particular behavior before. That's potentially where the murder mystery comes in.

Here are my questions: Do others have experiences with Snowflakes taking out their tank mates? The results from what I have read have been mixed and when I have watched him try to go after a fish during feeding time when they try to take his food, he is pretty clumsy at it. Is it possible that the Vibrant effected the blenny's food source and I wasn't observant enough? Any bad experiences with Tomini's? Is the stress of the Tomini by itself enough to cause health issues with a blenny? Regardless, my wife has been incredibly supportive of my reefing obsession, and I can't have her favorite fish disappearing.

Tangs are jerks. My kole picks on my LMB too, but so far he's been able to shrug it off (since October-ish?)

Snowflakes will definitely eat what they can catch, especially non-aggressive species.

Snowflakes can be jerks. I had one that would occasionally lunge at random fish. It scared one of my tangs enough to jump out of the tank... Which tangs never do.

I would not be surprised if they ate a fish when the opportunity arose and the fish was small enough.

Back