Torn between two lovers

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
Seriously though, I need some opinions on white vs blue. I really like them both. I have a mixed reef heading towards SPS dominant. I don’t like absolute white but currently during my peak hours I run a very white blue and the last two hours I run full blue which I also love and is where things pop the most. I know someone’s gonna say “go with what works if it’s what you like” but I want to know what others are doing, if you have tried both and what have you had the most success with. Does anyone run a white to blue schedule?

im not a fan of white light (or i guess full spectrum?)...corals in the ocean look like complete doodoo.
imho why go through the trouble, headache and cost to grow brown and muted turds in your tank...
i have a mixed reef and my lights ramp up and then down...blues/uv peak around 90% and whites peak around 12% for a couple of hours in the afternoon but im probably the last person to take advice from bc ive managed to kill everything at one time or another

I prefer a bit more white but still like the pop from blues. Too much blue you can’t really see the details in the tank, nor the color of the fish. So, half the day I run extra blues at the beginning and end of the day, this lets me get both viewing.

I read somewhere WWC runs no whites half the day.

I’m trying to get the best of both worlds. I agree about full spectrum, I don’t like that look at all on my reef. I actually think you and I run about the same but I keep my peak for 6 hours. lol, given your luck that may bode ill for me!

I have a quick ramp up to my peak to get things growing then a quick ramp down the last 2 hours so I can enjoy the reef under blues before I fall asleep with a glass of bourbon. lol. But during the day as i pass the tank i keep saying, “damn that bright light looks good!”

Mine have a "white period" But its when the halides come on. I like the more natural daylight look, especially during they day. I try to fade the white to blue from 6pm to 9pm then go ultra blue to off at 11.

I hate the windex look but I also like the color pop.

I feel you man.

There's no problem with your current light scheme. You don't have to pick white or blue, in nature the reefs are blue until around noon when the sun is directly overhead (granted, only until about 30ft). Corals grow great under full spectrum or windex lighting IME and it seems to be a personal preference thing.
There is research showing that 470NM lighting is very beneficial for coral growth, but that doesn't mean you can't run that at the same time as the whites.

I am personally a whites lover, but I understand why a lot of people don't like them. I have always been a fan of pastels though and the white light mimics that look.

I run 6 Kessil A360X with narrow reflectors. That gets me PAR in the 400 range and 500-600 where the beams cross. The reflectors also give me the benefit of blocking the bright light from view from my chair. All I see from my chair is a blue glow. It worked out so well although as things grow in I will probably have shadowing issues.

I run 6 Kessil A360X with narrow reflectors. That gets me PAR in the 400 range and 500-600 where the beams cross. The reflectors also give me the benefit of blocking the bright light from view from my chair. All I see from my chair is a blue glow. It worked out so well although as things grow in I will probably have shadowing issues.
Sounds like a good setup! Supplemental T5 could help with shadowing, probably a 1-2 bulb fixture.

I’m considering it although it will change my whole aesthetic
A supplemental T5 bulb or two shouldn't change too much, though you could also do any of the popular LED bar options (I like Orpheks based on other's experience) for a similar effect while keeping the LED sparkle.

Back