Dino's Gone Overnight!!! Ostreo

56cbr600rr

Supporting
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section...

But wanted to share.

Went from a Lagoon 25 to a Nuvo 40L recently and after a week or so I did get some Dinos. This did not surprise me and was kind of expected with the change over.

NItrates and Phosphates in old tank were usually 12-18 for Nitrates and .08-.15 for Phosphates. It has been hard to keep it as high in the new set up with the new sandbed and extra volume of water. Anyways, with the arrival of the Dinos (Ostreopsis as ID'd under the scope) I was more adamant with parameters and they were more around 8 Nitrates and .05-.08 for Phosphates. With this, still having Dinos with NO obvious change..

Then I added 15 blue leg Hermits (which last time I added about 80 and it seemed to help)

Used the Snow flocculent in low doses every 2-3 days..

Then I ordered and installed the 11 watt UV Sterilizer and no sudden change..

Then I added some carbon as Ostreo can be toxic and some of my corals looked a little peeved..

All the above has been going on the last two weeks or so....

Then yesterday afternoon Overfed by quite a bit. Then added ReefRoids and NeoPhos probablty getting my water levels a little higher than normal. And reduced whites by 75% (they were always pretty low). Then I added more carbon and the home made flocculent (Snow) dose 2x and literally in a few hours things looked maybe 30% better. Hmmm......

Woke up today and it is a night and day difference! With everything I did yesterday it's hard to say what happened. But my sandbed is white like snow. Overall I'd say it is 95% more clear of Dinos in literally 12 hours...

Just thought I'd share because: 1. It surprised me, and 2. Maybe it can help someone else.

Sounds to me like a good well rounded approach paid off. Could you let me know what your 'snow flocculent' recipe was? I've never tired this but as I understand it, feeding and dosing the reef snow allow other good things to out compete the dinos, right?

Sounds to me like a good well rounded approach paid off. Could you let me know what your 'snow flocculent' recipe was? I've never tired this but as I understand it, feeding and dosing the reef snow allow other good things to out compete the dinos, right?

Used this:

500 ml batch:
425-450 ml rodi water
10 level tablespoons of calcium carbonate
Shake well
Let it sit for 2 hrs

Think the Flocculent maybe has the Dino’s all accumulate into each other, and I was trading out filter media once, or twice a day.

One other thought, right before (a day or two) the Dino's disappeared I fed lots of phytofeast thinking maybe it'd help the pod population and in turn, help eat Dinos.. Who knows... but wanted to mentiion everything I did. It literally went away in far less than 24 hours.

Back