Bulldawg Reef’s Trix Goniopora Help

dustin

Market
Reaction score
I’m struggling with my Goni. It’s been in the tank maybe 2 months and has never really extended its polyps and has slowly started to recede tissue. Changed placement, flow etc no change. I’m now target feeding to try and keep it alive. I’m struggling with low nitrates and phosphates but that’s improving I am getting nitrate readings. Any advice on how to stop the slow death?

Mine do well in medium to lower light. High phosphates do not seem to bother them but i try and keep mine at .08-.05. I have had phosphates go over .1 with no ill effects. Nitrates between 10-20 seems to make em happy in my tanks. They seem to have better polyp extension in lower flow but higher flow doesn't seem to hurt em they just dont extend as much. I broadcast feed rods polyp poppers and benepet coral food twice a week.

Thanks. My issue is zero phosphates and very low nitrates. Only readings I have that are not ideal. Have it in the sand bed out of direct flow. I know these can be fickle corals.

Thanks. My issue is zero phosphates and very low nitrates. Only readings I have that are not ideal. Have it in the sand bed out of direct flow. I know these can be fickle corals.
I would try and get your phosphates and nitrates up a little bit and see if that helps

Also try a little higher in the tank. But off to the side, like a corner. You'll know when you find its happy spot.

This is your problem. You need to be .03-.05 (you can run a little higher) and nitrates 10-15. You are starving the Goni. Easiest thing to dose is NEOphos and NEOnirto. Or make your own like most do. Depending on the size of your tank it may be easier doing brightwell. I make my own for using Calcium Nitrate and trisodium Phosphate. Im dosing at least 8-10ml a day of Calcium Nitrate.

I've tried the trix twice and have killed it both times. I've played with the nutrients, tried manganese...iron...flow...to no avail.
Gonis and bernardpora have been blacklisted from my tank.
Interestingly alveopora do well for me so who knows anything beyond that this hobby is awful lol

Back