Dino Microscope?

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I've been battling dinos for a while in my frag system. Summer is always a busy time and I got caught no testing enough. I've always had low nutrients and combat that with dosing. Well, at some point in June I noticed what I thought was cyano. "No big deal!" I thought since this happens and it's usually treatable with better maintenance practices. I did a water change and left for a week, again. When I got back everything was covered in rust colored bubble-loaded slime. In my experience this is what dinos look like. I finally ran some tests and my PO2 was .08 and my nitrates were undetectable. I did a water change and doses Nitrates. It took quite a bit of dosing to get my NO3 up to 2 and I've been dosing ever since. The problem isn't nearly as bad as it was, feel like I'm winning, but now that I'm back in town I'd like to get these bastards under a microscope just to confirm my suspicions.

I know there have been folks in the past who volunteered use of a microscope to ID dinos or cyano. Does anyone have one? I'd like to take a sample and come over. Also, if you have a microscope, can you help with the ID? I've never actually done this and I could really use an experienced hand if possible. I now there's a lot of information online but I'd still like to have someone that has a clue what they're looking at since I don't.

Here's a guide for identification under magnification. I beat mine in like 4 days by doing:
Getting p04 and n03 up
Uv
Mb7
Turkey basting everything right before lights out to get it all waterborne
Use a nori clip with a piece of filter floss in a high flow area to gather dinos overnight
In thr morning remove the filter floss and wash under faucet then throw on the counter for the day and repeat the process the next day. You can reuse the floss for a few days
The dinos are like a moth to a flame on the floss.

I had ostreopsis

Here's the link to the download

Attachments

• DinoflagellateID12_12_2019.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 5
Back