Successful acro reefer in North Georgia

Reef Altitude

Market
Reaction score
Morning everyone!

I live just north of John's Creek and have a 230ish gallon system. It's been up for a year now. I was wondering if anyone in the area has a great tank with sps that wouldn't mind sharing their wisdom. Right now my sps survival rate is around 50 percent on frags. I am also working to eliminate some dinos...

Probably prefer to talk in real life if anyone (or a bunch) are interested because let's face it, these are complex projects we are running in our houses!

Any interest in grabbing a bear and talking shop?

Pbs Nature Bear GIF by Nature on PBS

As far as I know who are successful at acros that I met personally and seen their setup:
  • @dball711 - I believe he is in Roswell, been around for quite some time. Grows a lot of branded acro very well
  • @simonhill55 - Hamilton Mill area in Dacula, grows everything in the ocean 🤣 and practically a coral store/farm in his basement
  • @hzheng33 - Norcross / Peachtree corners area, grows torches and acros successfully
  • @Joker Corals - grow a ton of frags as a business, lots of named as well, more of a frag farm
  • @Emmanuel - never seen his setup, but all frags I have picked up from him are large and extremely healthy, 100% success from his acros
Lastly, I been known to keep some acros alive. Pic of my previous tank and my current tank.

Now as far as grabbing a beer, not sure if I have the time to do such a thing, between work, kids, house responsibilities, reef tank maintenance, and somewhat of a life after all that. LOL. However, I am always open for a chat and I have had a few visitors as well.

Attachments

• PenultimateFullSizeRender (1).jpg
    PenultimateFullSizeRender (1).jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7426.jpg
    IMG_7426.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 43
As far as I know who are successful at acros that I met personally and seen their setup:
  • @dball711 - I believe he is in Roswell, been around for quite some time. Grows a lot of branded acro very well
  • @simonhill55 - Hamilton Mill area in Dacula, grows everything in the ocean 🤣 and practically a coral store/farm in his basement
  • @hzheng33 - Norcross / Peachtree corners area, grows torches and acros successfully
  • @Joker Corals - grow a ton of frags as a business, lots of named as well, more of a frag farm
  • @Emmanuel - never seen his setup, but all frags I have picked up from him are large and extremely healthy, 100% success from his acros
Lastly, I been known to keep some acros alive. Pic of my previous tank and my current tank.

Now as far as grabbing a beer, not sure if I have the time to do such a thing, between work, kids, house responsibilities, reef tank maintenance, and somewhat of a life after all that. LOL. However, I am always open for a chat and I have had a few visitors as well.
I hear you! We have two little ones and just doing the essentials is a full full day.

Those pictures look like "keep alive" is a bit of an understatement!!

I have read thousands of online posts and am "doing everything right" based on my understanding but must be missing a few key points. 🤷

I'm good with however, just hard to type everything out 😆

I hear you! We have two little ones and just doing the essentials is a full full day.

Those pictures look like "keep alive" is a bit of an understatement!!

I have read thousands of online posts and am "doing everything right" based on my understanding but must be missing a few key points. 🤷

I'm good with however, just hard to type everything out 😆
Just wondering, that is "doing everything right", cause in this hobby, there is no one way to do things, only thing that matters that I see from one successful hobbyist to another is stability.

I'm always willing to talk Reefs and what works for me. I don't really follow what most people do in the equipment side and keep it simple stupid so to speak. Each tank has their own needs and requirements. And @Rainblood ...all tricks! Lol..jk. plenty of people have seen my system in person and can vouch. Albeit I'm relatively newer to acros at about a year and a half in.

Typo... what is "doing everything right"?
That's exactly what I'm talking about really. What is doing everything right? I think at a high level everything is in the acceptable ranges.

It's little things like, I did a10 gallon water change and the temp was ambient (74 ish degrees) and I poured it into the sump.

I have gyres on the back wall of the peninsula and three kessils (A500) so flow and par is "good" (used a par meter).

I get the feeling that these are nit picky creatures and tired of $$$ trial and error 😆

That's exactly what I'm talking about really. What is doing everything right? I think at a high level everything is in the acceptable ranges.

It's little things like, I did a10 gallon water change and the temp was ambient (74 ish degrees) and I poured it into the sump.

I have gyres on the back wall of the peninsula and three kessils (A500) so flow and par is "good" (used a par meter).

I get the feeling that these are nit picky creatures and tired of $$$ trial and error 😆
Stability and consistency is doing things right in my book. If you're doing a 10g weekly, then make sure you do it weekly and don't get lazy, cause we all do at some point, just have to push through it.

Also, don't do any knee jerk reaction when you see something wrong. Fix things slowly. My last tank, I had the worst case of hair algae, so I manually pulled it weekly for several months, before my livestock got it under control. Then at one point I had red planaria flatworms which I had to vacuum out daily for a month before I could use flatworm exit and my wrasses finished off the rest. Same with cyano and dinos, all the uglies take time to correct.

For me, stability comes in a few ways:
  • Calcium reactor - this provides everything my system needs for the most part
    • Annual maintenance - this means cleaning it completely, greasing the seals, checking the pumps (recently had to replace the impeller), and replacing the media
  • GFO - My system, I found every 3 weeks changing this out keeps my phosphates between .01 - .04
  • Water changes - every week, no matter how lazy I get, 15G water change
  • Testing -
    • Alk - test weekly to adjust calc reactor as needed
    • Calc - once a year, usually doesn't change since I'm running a calc reactor
    • Mg - once a year, I usually dose to get it up to 1600 over the course of a week, then it usually drops to 1200 by the year end
    • Phosphates - every 2 - 3 weeks, I'm not that consistent with this now since I got my GFO change out down pretty good
    • Nitrates - every 2-3 wks, my nitrates doesn't fluctuate that much for me to test that much, but recently I did had to test every 3 days as I was dosing sodium nitrate to get it up some
  • Skimmer - once a month, clean the collection up - i have skimmate going to a skim locker
  • RODI system - keep it maintained, got to have that clean water
    • Every year, change out all the carbon blocks (4x)
    • When pressure drops I swap out both sediment filters
    • Swap out membrane when I start to see before DI canister get over 3, which for me took 5 years
  • Lighting - set it and leave it after you get your PAR correct. For me it's 350 at the top shelf and 150 on the sand bed.
I stay consistent by keeping reminders on an app.

Keeping acros requires stability, a lot of patience, and dedication. If you see some algae or cyano in your tank and the first thing you want to do is find an instant fix, then you're not going to make it.

Stability and consistency is doing things right in my book. If you're doing a 10g weekly, then make sure you do it weekly and don't get lazy, cause we all do at some point, just have to push through it.

Also, don't do any knee jerk reaction when you see something wrong. Fix things slowly. My last tank, I had the worst case of hair algae, so I manually pulled it weekly for several months, before my livestock got it under control. Then at one point I had red planaria flatworms which I had to vacuum out daily for a month before I could use flatworm exit and my wrasses finished off the rest. Same with cyano and dinos, all the uglies take time to correct.

For me, stability comes in a few ways:
  • Calcium reactor - this provides everything my system needs for the most part
    • Annual maintenance - this means cleaning it completely, greasing the seals, checking the pumps (recently had to replace the impeller), and replacing the media
  • GFO - My system, I found every 3 weeks changing this out keeps my phosphates between .01 - .04
  • Water changes - every week, no matter how lazy I get, 15G water change
  • Testing -
    • Alk - test weekly to adjust calc reactor as needed
    • Calc - once a year, usually doesn't change since I'm running a calc reactor
    • Mg - once a year, I usually dose to get it up to 1600 over the course of a week, then it usually drops to 1200 by the year end
    • Phosphates - every 2 - 3 weeks, I'm not that consistent with this now since I got my GFO change out down pretty good
    • Nitrates - every 2-3 wks, my nitrates doesn't fluctuate that much for me to test that much, but recently I did had to test every 3 days as I was dosing sodium nitrate to get it up some
  • Skimmer - once a month, clean the collection up - i have skimmate going to a skim locker
  • RODI system - keep it maintained, got to have that clean water
    • Every year, change out all the carbon blocks (4x)
    • When pressure drops I swap out both sediment filters
    • Swap out membrane when I start to see before DI canister get over 3, which for me took 5 years
  • Lighting - set it and leave it after you get your PAR correct. For me it's 350 at the top shelf and 150 on the sand bed.
I stay consistent by keeping reminders on an app.

Keeping acros requires stability, a lot of patience, and dedication. If you see some algae or cyano in your tank and the first thing you want to do is find an instant fix, then you're not going to make it.
Mostly leaving things alone, have not messed with the lights in 8 months.

I have a dino problem that is the most erratic I get with it. I believe it's amphids. Dosing things like bacteria and cleaning the sand. Keep the carbon fresh in case there are toxins. UV arms to be keeping it beat down to just ugly sand.

I have around 15 frags to mini colonies that seem ok but I have killed around the same number of frags. If 50% is pretty good for a one year old tank just getting going and dealing with dinos for 3-4 months then it is what it is.

Two mini colonies grew like crazy and then died. Palleta tri colors. I'm afraid it's a bacterial problem like vibrio or the dinos. I also was out of town for a week and came back to low alk because a bunch of things really took off for the first time and consumption went way way up. This was 7 months ago.

The stylophora, pavona, montis, capricornis and digitata along with the lps/zoa's are all doing pretty good to be honest.

As I type this it reads pretty wild ride 🤦.

When ypu were gone for a week was anyone else in the house?
I had a neighbor turn the valve on my rodi to fill my top off reservoir. I set it all up so all they did was turn the little valve and turn it off a few hours later. Just don't trust 6 dollar valves and a float valve with no supervision for that long.

ALK was mid 7s and is normally around 8.3

I'm sure the ph was nice and high without us all breathing for a while.

That's what I meant. If nobody was there then ph went up and alk consumption did too.

How frequent are you cleaning the gyres? In my experience, gyres get dirty quick and efficiency drops fast.

Also I am not a big fan of GFO. My phosphates range from .1-.3. Much higher than the ideal range for sps but it works for me 🤷‍♂️

There are a ton of different ways to be successful with keeping acros, but I would agree with others in this thread that stability is 🔑.

Hey everyone, thanks for the input so far. I got an ICP back and showed a few things low.

My test kits (nyos) showed alk higher than 8 so I'm getting a salifert kit to cross check and break the tie. Obviously that number would be a good starting point for why things are not making it.

Any thoughts outside of the alk being low?

Anyone think the other figures would be enough to kill coral?

Back