Seller Etiquette

Am I in the wrong for not returning coral

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgee87

Market
Reaction score
I wanted the forums opinion of if you guys believe I made the wrong decision or not. I sold a light to a member for a piece of coral and the transaction went flawlessly. The buyer witnessed the lights function properly when delivered. Shortly after delivery the buyer questions the seller on how to program the lights and an issue he was facing. The issue is that on ATI dimmable T5's when the power is cut abruptly the screen will remain blue until you take it out of safe mode. This issue was resolved. Shortly after the buyer contacts me again with a fan issue. I instruct him on how the replace the fans if any go bad but that they were functional when he received the unit. After 2 months the buyer contacts me saying he wants the coral back and that I need to come pick up the lights as he purchased different lights. At first I agreed I would exchanged the coral back for the lights but after speaking with my wife she thought this was insane as I have no idea what has happened to the lights since I delivered them back in late July. What is your option?

Unless there is some offer of warranty made before the sale, especially with a used item, it’s upon the buyer to ensure that the product is as they believe it should be.

That’s where the Latin comes in-
Caveat emptor = buyer beware

That said, some will go out of their way to present fully functional items. Not in like new condition, but still functional or fully disclosed if otherwise.

After 2 months, a buyer has had both the opportunity to address any issues and the ability to benefit from it’s use.

Sounds to me like a case of buyers remorse. They bought it, changed their mind, and used the issue(s) as justification to ask for a return.
I would say no, unless feeling particularly generous or guilt ridden & just want some peace.

That said,
Maybe offer a compromise? I’ll cut you a frag, once it’s grown. Whether you ask for the light back or they keep the light, at this point, is more a matter of keeping the peace.

Either way, I likely won’t do business with them again.

if there's no other background history and the story is as shown in your messages, then you're in the clear. you have offered to help. you have been reasonable. but at some point it's the buyer's responsibility.

for all the equipment i sell, i test in front of the buyers and make sure that they're happy with the equipment before walking away. heck, sometimes i let the buyers in my house to look at the corals (especially euphyllia) before bagging them up. i want to make sure that the buyers know exactly what they're getting into before committing to buy. i also make sure i tell them that they're under no obligation to buy even if they set their foot in my house.

There’s always 2 sides to every story and the only concern here is that you initially agreed to exchange back.

The questions are 1.) why and 2.) how much does that obligate you

There’s always 2 sides to every story and the only concern here is that you initially agreed to exchange back.

The questions are 1.) why and 2.) how much does that obligate you
I agree sir. I will see what happens but this really weighed on me. We shall see if the buyer wants to tell their side and until then I will leave them anonymous

It is definitely on the buyer to ask questions and get a good understanding of the condition of the item. The seller should disclose what they can about the item such as the age, cosmetic defects, and functionality. Unless a warrantee was given at the time of the sale then you have no obligation to refund their payment. I would consider doing a refund within the first couple of weeks but no longer than that.

Used items are used. They could work another ten years or die in six months. That is the gamble you are making when you buy something used.

Na, he had his chance. You also have no clue what he has done trying to "fix it"

I got a used radion a while back that was "tested as working". I didnt even open the box for like 6 weeks. When I did I saw a fan missing a blade, light was totally clogged with crap, and it would shut off after a few minutes. Tested as working apparently just means "I plugged it in and it turned on". I messed with it for about an hour before tossing is as a loss. Its my own fault for not checking it when it arrived.

I have done the same. I purchased a scratch free tank from a gentleman and when I arrived the glass had so much coralline algae on it I couldn't tell it was actually VERY scratched up to the point I understood why they had coralline on the front glass. I now only buy tanks from people I trust and that have been cleaned so I can verify before I purchase. .

Ok not that most have posted their opinions. So i did do a trade for a light. From the beginning i had issues with this light. Several times seller sent me links to reset light. So the issue is the light will not stay programmed. So 2 weeks ago matt contacted me again and in his exact words. Said he will bring coral back and take light. I never asked for coral back. As most of you that know me i honor my word. But glad to hear opinions

Ok not that most have posted their opinions. So i did do a trade for a light. From the beginning i had issues with this light. Several times seller sent me links to reset light. So the issue is the light will not stay programmed. So 2 weeks ago matt contacted me again and in his exact words. Said he will bring coral back and take light. I never asked for coral back. As most of you that know me i honor my word. But glad to hear opinions
The lights are 48" ATI Sunpower T5 if anyone is wondering. If the unit has any interruption in power it will revert to the default programming. The light worked as we went over the day of the transaction, I had used the lights for a couple of months prior to selling them to you with no issue. . I even took the extra time to show you how to program it and verified everything was functional. You are 100% right I did say when you told me you were getting a new light ( 2 months later ) that I would just bring the coral as I felt terrible you were having issues with the light. I told my wife what I was doing and she was distraught over it which is when I did change my mind about bringing back the coral. I do not want any sort of bad blood but as my wife and I both love the coral please let me know what the cost of the coral is and I will PayPal you the amount. Chuck, I will publically say you are a good guy and I want to make things right if you feel I sold you a defective light.

Matt lets end this we are good man its perfectly ok. We are supporting members lets continue to do our thing.

fwiw,
Some electronic devices have a board level battery to maintain (CMOS) programming. Is it possible this is the case and the battery has died?

Otherwise, there may be an EEPROM chip that keeps getting reset (won’t hold program after a power outage)? Sudden voltage change might trigger that.

Maybe put the light on an UPS (battery backup)? If that solves the programming loss issue, then you may have some idea of the problem.

fwiw,
Some electronic devices have a board level battery to maintain (CMOS) programming. Is it possible this is the case and the battery has died?

Otherwise, there may be an EEPROM chip that keeps getting reset (won’t hold program after a power outage)? Sudden voltage change might trigger that.

Maybe put the light on an UPS (battery backup)? If that solves the programming loss issue, then you may have some idea of the problem.
That actually happened with my current lights. Each time the power flickers, it would reset the light. Drove me insane. I did exactly that, I put it on a UPS. Problem solved.

Well i figured easiest fix was buy a new light. and some ask why u buy so much u dont need it. But u never know when something goes bad and u dont have a back up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back