saltwater disposal?

to much for water top off, but what about water change? or dosing? hmmmm

I know this is a very old thread, but you're supposed to search past threads to see if the question had been asked before, and I did. And here I am 14 years later with my 2 cents worth. In 2010 AI wasn't a thing, now it is, and I didn't think anyone really answered the question. I am interested in the possible impact on a septic system. (Mine.) I think Bing gives a comprehensive answer, nothing specific; depends on the circumstances, I guess.
I think I will be disposing of my saltwater by dumping it on the gravel portion of my driveway and let evaporation and nature take its course. As much as it rains in Atlanta, dilution should be no problem.

I asked Bing's Co-Pilot "how does saltwater from an aquarium affect a septic system", and here is the answer I got.
Saltwater from an aquarium can have an impact on a septic system. Here are some key points to consider:
  1. Bacterial Balance: Saltwater can potentially disrupt the balance of bacteria in your septic system1,2. The bacteria in a septic system are crucial for breaking down waste, and a significant influx of saltwater could kill off these bacteria, causing the septic system to fill up faster1.
  2. Corrosion: Saltwater can be corrosive, and there is a concern that it could corrode the insides of septic tanks over time3.
  3. Dilution: The amount of saltwater being introduced into the system is also a factor. If the saltwater is significantly diluted, it may not have a substantial impact1.
  4. Volume of Water: The extra water going into the septic system every week could put extra stress on your drain field, potentially leading to problems down the road3.
  5. Experiences: Some aquarium enthusiasts have reported no ill effects from draining saltwater into their septic systems3,1.
It’s important to note that these are general observations and the impact can vary based on the specifics of your septic system and the volume of saltwater being introduced. If you’re considering regularly draining aquarium saltwater into your septic system, it may be worth consulting with a professional to understand the potential impacts and any necessary precautions.
Learn more
1reef2reef.com
2austinreefclub.com
3reef2reef.com
4forums.saltwaterfish.com

I drain mine to my house sanitary system. I also toss it on the driveway to go to the street (storm system)

No issues, no rules against it. Oils and fats are issues for a house system, salt water is fine.

Back