Salinity Question

Thanks for all the posts!

I guess, unfortunately, it comes down to the fact that Salinity may not be the salt for everyone. It all depends on each persons needs, as well as, what is best for their aquarium. At least the option is available for those that want it. :)

you make a point about dosing alk, that is if you are reffering to sea salt which I did have to be on constant awarness of, but I've never had the issue with reef crystals. I currently use reef crystals and always find everything spot on. With salinity I constantly had to adjust PH and found either mag or alk needed dosing within 24 hours and I went through 3 buckets thinking it was a bad batch or just something I was doing.
The interesting thing is seachem out sources sea salt and I suspect RC, I/O, Sea Salt and host of other salts all come from the same place, much like the gasoline we pump no matter which station your at (many of the individual brands add their particular additives or so they say).

I know there are a couple individuals who think I have a vendetta going for seachem but I use many of their other products and I believe they are a top notch company but I know the issues I had with their high end salt and after buying into the hype and experiencing the issues I am more than just a bit dissapointed with this product.

This is exactly why I was doing my best not to respond to this thread as it is such a sensitive issue with me. And yes I did have a partial tank crash using salinity.

cr500_af;726525 wrote: How do you figure? With RC or Seachem Reef salt, I've had to use alkalinity like it was going out of style. Don't have to "dose up" new water at all with Salinity.
If you figure what it can be bought for, the $/gal is very close... certainly not enough to say Salinity is "$$$$$". Unless of course you count what they advertise on the other buckets which comes out at about 1.021-1.022. Those "160g" buckets make about 120 when you mix it at what we use. Salinity does the advertised volume at 1.026.
Maybe Salinity is a little</em> more per gallon, but not very much. And it is offset IMO by the fact that I don't have to use my test kits, supplements or time to make it right before using it.

Strange that you had pH and alk issues... that's the only salt I've used that kept my pH above 8 without buffers, and the only one that gave me alk over 2.5 meq/l.
I wonder if there is something that differs tank to tank that makes one salt produce differently for different people. Amount/types of coral? Sandbed type and depth?

Yes, you are absolutely correct, cr500_af. Every tank is different and may have different parameters based on many variables. These variables can be from the things you mentioned, along with source water, mixing method, surrounding environment, etc. There are no 2 tanks alike, I can assure you. You may have the exact same setup as your neighbor and use the exact same methods for mixing salt, however, the outcome is different. This is really inevitable in most cases. There are simply too many factors involved.

Back