Reef Napalm

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
In another thread I saw that a few folks still use what I've always called Reef Napalm. It was popularized by a giant in the ARC community, Acroholic (Dave). Years ago I combined a few different write ups in a Google Doc so I'd always have access to it. If you want to give it a shot, here's a copy/paste of the directions I follow.

Various sources regarding Reef Napalm

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/aiptasia_control.html

From Acroholic (Dave) in ARC Forum:

My experience with this method:

I mixed a two times normal solution (2N) of NaOH.

The webpage advises against using commercial drain opener, but I used ROOTO Brand crystal lye formula drain opener. It is all lye, but if anyone prefers, lab grade NaOH can be ordered online, but it costs a good bit more. The ROOTO lye is about $5 a jar, and is more than you will need in your lifetime. Available at any ACE Hardware Store. A 2N solution of NaOH uses 80 grams of NaOH in one liter of RODI. I used a digital scale, but 80 grams comes out to 1/3 cup. Mix the solution up in a plastic container you can seal up. It will get warm when you mix the lye and water together (exothermic reaction). And be VERY CAREFUL about fumes coming off the solution while it is warm right after mixing. It does not feel good to breath it in (personal experience).

What I found so nice about this method was that you don't have to get the NaOH slurry exactly on the aiptasia, but just next to it or near it for it to work. The webpage explains it quite well. Kind of like this stuff is a hand grenade, where close kills, vs Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X, in which a bulls-eye is required for a kill.

How I did it:

I have treated my tank every other day for three days so far. Follow the instructions about turning off all flow in the tank. I used a flashlight for dark areas of the rock to look for aiptasia, and be careful about what the NaOH slurry can fall onto. I basically treated every aiptasia I found with the NaOH on day 1, then repeated on Day 3, then repeated on Day 5. You must be willing to check and treat every other day several times in a row, until you don't see any more aiptasia. Observation is key, as some of the anemones will be too small to see initially, but become visible as they grow. I treated about 40 day 1, about 10 day 2, about 3 day three, and have not seen one since. I will continue to observe and treat if needed every other day until I don't see any new ones for several times.

The webpage is totally correct about the NaOH not being harmful to the tank or inhabitants after it is diluted with tank water. NaOH (and KOH) is actually the main ingredient in a Seachem Aquavitro product called balance.

I have not seen a single aiptasia come back since I started treating my tank six days ago. I believe the key for success using this is sticking to the every other day inspection/treatment schedule until no more aiptasia are observed for at least 4-5 inspections, and repeated follow ups once a week until you are sure you have totally eliminated aiptasia from your tank.

Another from Dr.Necropolis in ARC Forum:

100ml distilled water, 1 teaspoon Red Devil lye (sodium hydroxide), and 2 teaspoons calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser). Mix well and use a PD-Tip or dispensing syringe. Turn off water flow and let sit for one hour before turning flow back on.

Note: This mixture is also effective in killing just about anything you put it on, including out of control xenia, polyps and even some hair algae types.

They sell lye for soap making which is food based..would this be better or cleaner than rooto drain lye crystals? I guess just a syringe with no needle to apply? Definitely want to try it on my 29.

Thanks

They sell lye for soap making which is food based..would this be better or cleaner than rooto drain lye crystals? I guess just a syringe with no needle to apply? Definitely want to try it on my 29.

Thanks
This method will bump your ph so only use a small a mount at a time but will quickly return to normal. I used a syringe (from useless aptasia x).
what about the $&#^#&^ Vermetid snails?? lol!
It’s possibly. I got this stuff on bubble algae and it destroyed the BA and regular hair algae.

I'm not sure Dave (Acroholic) properly gives a warning about mixing Lye and water. The "exothermic" reaction be violent if mixed too fast. Also just like mixing muratic acid and water, NEVER add water to the Lye, add the Lye slowly to the water.

I would also do the mixing in a slop sink or kitchen sink. If it splashes on you, you'll want water handy to rinse it off quickly. If mixed too fast it can melt through Tupperware and the gloves you're wearing. I've personally had it caramelize on the bottom of a glass jug when I mixed it too fast. If I was using a plastic container I'm sure it would have melted through.

Once it's cooled down and the vapors subside it is safer to handle but you still don't want to get it on your skin or eyes. It will have a pH of 14 and you will get chemical burns if it gets on you.

The smaller the tank your working in the more it will raise alkalinity and pH. But generally not enough to hurt anything unless you go nuts with it. Treat zones of the tank over several days and you'll be fine.

It does work great for killing most anything you want gone in your system, just use caution ⚠️ and good judgement when mixing and handling.

Back