Reef Flux

Givmeanf

Supporting
Reaction score
I am having an issue with green hair algae.
My LFS guy has recommended REEF FLUX, by REEF-HD.
It is an antifungal fish medication.
And for $18 I bough a small bottle (of capsules).
The guy claims it will kill the root system of the algae and it dies. The active ingredient is Fluconazole.
I’m not a big fan of using chemicals in the water, but I’m kind at the point of trying it.
FYI, the urchin did okay, but urchins are little bullies, and he died. the hermit crabs, didn’t take care of it, the emerald crabs did okay, but they die in a week or two. One is completely unaccounted for, no body has appeared in weeks!

What have others experienced with this stuff?
Do I use it?

I would prefer a fish that eats it, but am being told no such fish exists.
And I am picking it out like a backyard gardener! That’s work!

I have used fluconazole in the past with lots of success. I’ve used them for the hair algae and the fact that it doesn’t affect other critters are a bonus. So if it doesn’t kill the type of algae you have, (and many reported back as so…), it will just have no ill effect to your system. If you have Alage turf scrubber or cheato, it will likely kill them as well.

Depends on the size of the tank but one treatment of one tab should be enough to treat nano tank. It take 2-3 weeks for it to slowly work into the algae and eventually lifting it off the rock.

P.S. there was a thread where one asked about micro dosing Fluconazole daily and the verdict is that we don’t want anything in the tank to become immunity to the antibiotic.

I've used FluxRx (also fluconazole) a few times with good results. No harm to anything. My red macro algae survives it just fine. Sometimes requires a second dose to work for me

I’m going to assume that if your algae issue is extreme, it probably take couple or more tries. It definitely works but some elbow grease is get it down to manageable amount for the solution to work effectively. So ymmv. Ha

I was still feeling uncomfortable about using this stuff. No, really I’m lazy and didn’t want to remove the ATO tank to get to the charcoal filtration bag in the back on the tank to take it out.
I opted for a Lawn Mower Blenny. Weird looking fish. My kinda people. He disappeared immediately for about two days, but is out and about now. And he seems to be doing his job.
Right now he is laying on the rock with his face buried in some hair algae.

I’m not opposed to using the ReefFlux, I just needed an excuse to buy another animal for the tank, if the truth be known.
All kidding aside, Lawn Mower Blenny, seem to be great little fish.
Here is some real information, if anyone is interested. FYI, I am failing to provide some of the things they say in this article. My tank is only 20 gallons for starters. I hired him to do a job, and he is good at it, maybe I’ll increase his pay for adverse working conditions if he complains.

That lawnmower blenny will contribute more nitrate and phosphate as it consumes whatever. Which means those algae will continue to grow and probably at faster rate now even though blenny is munching away. You are contributing more than removing atm.

How hard is to disolv a tab and put it in the tank. -.-

Back