Red Sea Gen2

yyq8548

Supporting
Reaction score
Do Red sea Gen 2 aquariums have the same weak seam and leak problems as the previous generation?

someone with more knowledge can correct em if I’m wrong but I think it had to do with the stand not having enough support that caused the seams to fail

I'm not sure. I know on some of them red sea will send you some type of brace for no charge. Would be worth reaching out to them

someone with more knowledge can correct em if I’m wrong but I think it had to do with the stand not having enough support that caused the seams to fail
This is correct. And I believe the issue was mostly on the bigger tanks. I could be wrong as well there

I owned a reefer 200 gen 1 … failed after 8 months. The replacement tank is fine. Reefer 425 gen 2 , failed at leak tests lol. So i don’t know if its the design of the seam or the quality control. While I can say the aesthetic of RedSea is beautiful, I question there current quality of production. But they are a mass produce product so it’s understandable a few mishaps will slip through. Rimless will never be as study as rimmed or eurobraced. The horror stories you hear will always be LOUDER than most of the happy clients they have. It’s inevitably that a tank will eventually fail, 5 years or 20 years, have a plan for when that happens. I have had many RedSea in the past, even with the hiccups, I still would recommend them overall.

I owned a reefer 200 gen 1 … failed after 8 months. The replacement tank is fine. Reefer 425 gen 2 , failed at leak tests lol. So i don’t know if its the design of the seam or the quality control. While I can say the aesthetic of RedSea is beautiful, I question there current quality of production. But they are a mass produce product so it’s understandable a few mishaps will slip through. Rimless will never be as study as rimmed or eurobraced. The horror stories you hear will always be LOUDER than most of the happy clients they have. It’s inevitably that a tank will eventually fail, 5 years or 20 years, have a plan for when that happens. I have had many RedSea in the past, even with the hiccups, I still would recommend them overall.
How did the reefer 425 end up? I am planning to get one.

How did the reefer 425 end up? I am planning to get one.
It’s been “leak testing” for a while due to some family responsibilities and a move. But I haven’t owned it long enough to give any conclusions. I bought it because I liked the look and the equivalent waterbox wasn’t available for me to even see and I like the g2 sump compatibility with reef mat.

Ok, thanks!
Yeah, the sump plus the reefmat is really a good combo.

Last edited:
Back