Random pic of the day thread

Since we don't have a photography section I guess this is as good of a place here for photo talk...

Ive used several macro lenses for my camera starting with a sigma 70mm macro art lens then moved to a Sony 90mm macro then to a Sony 50mm macro. Decided to go back to the Sigma 70mm macro, I just like the sharpness and colors better.

DSC07805.JPG
DSC07796.JPG
DSC07791.JPG
DSC07821.JPG

Since we don't have a photography section I guess this is as good of a place here for photo talk...

Ive used several macro lenses for my camera starting with a sigma 70mm macro art lens then moved to a Sony 90mm macro then to a Sony 50mm macro. Decided to go back to the Sigma 70mm macro, I just like the sharpness and colors better.
Man those are so nice! I'm currently messing with extension tubes on a sony but they simply can't get that crisp of an image.

May have to get a dedicated macro. Are you shooting this through the tank glass or through the top?

View attachment 87302
View attachment 87299
View attachment 87300
View attachment 87301
I honestly wish I had gone with the Olympus TG sooner. I spent $200 on a barely used TG-5 that’s taking just as good of pictures as I was with my Sony a6000 + Tamron 90mm lens. Just those 2 alone cost me $500+ and the contacts on the body no longer talk to any of my lenses.

It’s also a fraction of the hassle to take photos with the TG. The biggest problem shooting from outside of the tank, is you have to shoot pretty much head on through the glass. The TG models are good up to 50ft underwater without any type of housing. It also has built in microscope mode, saving the need to buy an expensive macro lens.

This photo was taken using a friend’s Sony a7 with my 90mm macro lens.
5343FFFC-393E-44F8-AFE1-187BEECC090B.jpeg

This one with the Olympus TG-5
CC5120A8-9C73-4CF5-A059-006E7DCDA426.jpeg

If you’re doing a lot of photography outside of the hobby, a body + lenses is definitely the way to go. For just this hobby though, hands down the Olympus TG line gets my vote.

Man those are so nice! I'm currently messing with extension tubes on a sony but they simply can't get that crisp of an image.

May have to get a dedicated macro. Are you shooting this through the tank glass or through the top?

Thanks, I have also tried extension tubes with no luck. Then once I got a dedicated macro lens, everything changed. Im currently using a Sony A6700 (A6400 prior to that), I shoot in aperture priority and aim for f11 and most of my shots are on autofocus, some manual. Sony's autofocus is really something special.

All the shots above were taken through the front glass.

Yup a dedicated macro lens is the way to go. You always have some really stunning shots! And that TG5 takes some great shots for a budget camera!!!

Last edited:

View attachment 87302
View attachment 87299
View attachment 87300
View attachment 87301
Very Nice. So who do we need to talk to about setting up a photography section? I’m considering getting back into that hobby and learning about reef photography would be extremely helpful. What camera are you using?

How is blue light managed in DSLR cameras?
Can buy orange filters, use white-balancing, and/or using editing software. It’s usually a combination of some sort since the orange filters don’t always get the color-correcting right. Same with white-balancing. I have my WB set to 11k on my Olympus TG-5, then do minor color correcting and exposure in Lightroom after.

Edit: This top photo was taken with just the WB set on my camera
4F705AF6-F3C8-46E1-A4BC-20EDFF9F3356.jpeg

This bottom one is after some color and exposure adjustments in Lightroom, to make it closer to what the eye sees.
CEEC8CF6-EE09-430A-8A95-BA6D064CD06E.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to see, but Alveopora is my favorite coral. About to fill up a 10 frag rock with them and a 10 frag mushroom rock. SPS torches to go on the brach.

IMG_5693.png

Back