Please come visit the new forum test site.

Adam

Trustee
Staff member
Sponsor
Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As we announced at Sunday's club meet we will be migrating to a new forum platform this weekend. Our tentative plan is to bring the site down Saturday 9/29 at around 8am and plan for it to be down for one day. We should be able to do it faster than that but we're just planning for anything unforeseen that may happen. This initial release will be stock, plain Jane vanilla, with very little styling or customization's and no plugins. It is an earlier version of Xenforo and allows us the ability to manipulate the data and make corrections that is not available in the latest release, Xenforo 2.0. We will be staying on this version for a few weeks to ensure everything is not only the way we want it but that there are no errors with your account's and/or posts. This will ensure that we have a rock-solid database before we make the upgrade.

While all of us on the BoD have had some input, Leo @lmm1967, has shouldered the vast majority of the load, on his own time. For someone who has just a very basic understanding of databases, like myself, what he has been able to do has been nothing short of amazing. There has been no less than six test sites, that have been blown up and rebuilt each time since the end of July. All the pics have been retained in posts and there are several other fixes he was able to implement as well. While there are a few minor issues here and there the end result is very good. One of those issues as a little bit of code that shows up under pics in posts. While that can be removed, it creates issues elsewhere in on the site. So, those will most likely be the only visible artifacts you will see on the user end. He was also able to recover over seventy user accounts that were lost in the last migration and merge them when new accounts were created by those users, so there is no lost data. If your account was lost and you created a new account with the different username please let us know, it should be able to be fixed for you.

One last thing before I post the link. It's regarding Tapatalk, we are 50/50 on including it or not. The app opens some security concerns that are harder for us to address without a live staff on the site every day, larger forums can afford that luxury. A quick search for Tapatalk security issues will give you all the info you need to know about it. I will say the mobile version of Xenforo 1.5 is not that bad and it’s pretty damn good in 2.0. Since we will not be adding any plugins to 1.5 it will not be included initially no matter what. The deciding factor on whether we include TT or not after the upgrade to 2.0 is up to you, the users. If there is an overwhelming demand or just a few users that want it. You can comment on it here, but we will be starting a thread with a poll on the new site after the final upgrade towards the end of October.

If you would like to look at the new site, please follow the link below. Your username is in there, but you will need to request a new password. Once we go live you will again need to request a new password, but we will be sending out an email blast notifying everyone that the new site is up. We encourage everyone to go take it for a spin, the data there is current up to last Friday afternoon. Feel free to post and do anything you will normally do on a forum and even things you don't normally do, post gibberish if you want to. Nothing you do there will be kept when we switch over, so it's cart-blanch on the whole site other than the Bod forum and posting anything of an adult nature. We want you to try and break it, this could reveal something we've missed and give us an opportunity to fix it before Saturday. We only ask that if you stumble across something to please post it here. We also welcome your feedback, so please let us know what you think.

https://www.aquariumcontrol.com/boards/index.php

Last edited:
Browsing as a guest it looks great!  There are many more quick options available for navigating and the structure looks good.   I am one of the members that thinks the current site is working well enough, but do like the look of the new site.  I LOVE the autofill in member search.

Suggestions and issues:

1) I recieved a message about the site being unsecure then an error saying my password reset did not work.  I tried again with the same results.

2) I have not found a way to set my default view.  My preference is to open up to recent posts and all forums to view in reverse chronological order...I am wierd like that😁

3) I did not see where I could subscribe to a forum

4) In search each time I change the search type I had to enter the info again.  I doubt this would affect many people, but it would be nice for previous info entered to be carried forward.

5) I do not see my avatar when I search my name.  I am guessing this is addressed if I am able to login.

Otherwise in 10 minutes of browsing I never saw a delay or visible problem with the site.  I think it looks slick and is fast.  As always, you guys put in a hulk of an effort that is greatly appreciated!

The sort is available at forum level but not below.   If possible can you add the message sort within a thread?

Yea, we'd like to know what browser you're using.
1) I received a message about the site being unsecure then an error saying my password reset did not work.  I tried again with the same results.
This could be browser related. There is an active SSL certificate on the test site. In the address bar you see https. We have tested the password reset and haven't seen an issue. Could you send a screen shot of what your getting.
2) I have not found a way to set my default view.  My preference is to open up to recent posts and all forums to view in reverse chronological order…I am weird like that
I know vBulletin has those settings but Xenforo does not. I'm not sure if that's common on forums beyond VB.
3) I did not see where I could subscribe to a forum
You can't do that until you've signed in.
4) In search each time I change the search type I had to enter the info again.  I doubt this would affect many people, but it would be nice for previous info entered to be carried forward.
Auto-fill is a setting that is browser dependent, not the site. I'm using Chrome and my searches are auto populating, if I click in the search box all of my previous searches pop up to scroll through.
5) I do not see my avatar when I search my name.  I am guessing this is addressed if I am able to login.
Yup... see #3. If you used a custom avatar here you will need to reapply it. If you're using gravatar then it's a quick couple of clicks in your profile.

Thanks for the quick response!  Let me say the site looks great again.  I am using chrone on my android galaxy note 8.  Below is a screenshot i took last night.
T8ijebjms1797cghoaeh1kvei13v8cr4b.jpg
alt="Screenshot_20180925-205048_Gmail" />

I just tried the password reset again and got through it easily with no surprises.  Either it is fixed or mu phone was having issues.  I see much of the stuff I asked about above already in the site alwhen logged in as a member.  Great job!

Back