Pico Reef ideas? I'd love your input

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
I'm starting up a new pico reef here pretty soon. I would love for you guys to share your picos with me so I can see how you do things.

So far, I've decided that I'm going to be using this tank: https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aquarium-2-6-Gallon-Black/dp/B009K0ZKAQ

The Fluval Spec 3 has a wonderful design and I really like the vertical look it has. For livestock I'm considering making it a mini zoa/paly garden. I already have over a dozen different species in my main display to frag from. I think that would be a super neat idea.
I also like the idea of a few different leathers too. I would definitely consider getting a clown goby, but I've never kept one in anything smaller than 10 gallons and I'm not totally sure on that yet. I may decide to put a shrimp in there and a few smaller snail species, but much of this is still up in the air. I want this reef to be very bright, vibrant, and crowded. I will be going bare bottom on this one, and havn't decided on any specific type of rock yet either!

Do any of you have any ideas? Any specific lighting fixtures you've been wanting to try out in picos? I'm very open to making this a community project, not just mine :)

As I look at more and more of these tanks online, I'm really considering going filterless. I've never ran a system without a filter but it seems pretty straight forward with 80% water changes every month to remove any excess waste.

Also, a yellow clown goby should be okay in it but make sure you don’t put too much live rock, and it will need as much swimming room as your mom the citron gobys get too big for a 2.6 and the green ones get about the same as the yellow ones. can give it.

I think going filterless makes it have a more simplistic look. Combo that with proper water changes and I think it'll be great. Just have to make sure the tank is properly aerated at that point!

Definitely won't be putting a ton of rock, but enough to make it looked nice and full. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it purely as photosynthetic softies, or do SPS. SPS would require a little more attention and I want this to be as low maintenance as possible!

I think going filterless makes it have a more simplistic look. Combo that with proper water changes and I think it'll be great. Just have to make sure the tank is properly aerated at that point!

Definitely won't be putting a ton of rock, but enough to make it looked nice and full. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it purely as photosynthetic softies, or do SPS. SPS would require a little more attention and I want this to be as low maintenance as possible!

I’d do softies then :) there’s some softies that look like lps! Personally I think that the small pieces of gsp look like chalice LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d do softies then :) there’s some softies that look like lps! Personally I think that the small pieces of gsp look like chalice LOL

That's what I'm thinking! Maybe a little Kenyan tree, some Scleronephthea, and cespitularia for sure, as well as some green nepthea I just ordered . I feel like these softies can look better than SPS if you do it right. I might ever throw in an easier gorgonian :D

I agree! I have a softie 10g with the exception of an acan and a frogspawn cause they’re tiny and cute, lol. You should go look at my thread! Do you have the tank set up already??

I don't! I'm hoping to decide on a tank and have it ordered tomorrow. It boils down to how simple I want to make it. I might go with an AIO system so I can at least run filter floss and a super nano skimmer if I can find one tiny enough

I wish I would have gotten AIOs. They’re so simple, but also if something breaks you have to replace the whole tank not just the filter, you know? Or if you want to upgrade or something.

I think a sump will always be superior, but my 30 gallon Nuvo funsion 30l does great without a sump. I run filter floss and change it every other day. They're definitely convenient!

Agreed. Just used it as an example haha. Let me know when you find that scleronephthya. I haven’t seen any of that around here at all, and it’s beautiful!

For sure! If I'm able to grow it out I'll definitely trade you a frag in the future. It's really pretty and is another one of those softies that makes a tank look full and vibrant!

Sounds like a plan! If you don’t have any kenya tree already I’d be happy to give you some.

I'll take you up on that if I'm ever up in that area. Unfortunately it's hard being a part of the community when I live way down here in the boonies, hahah!

I'll take you up on that if I'm ever up in that area. Unfortunately it's hard being a part of the community when I live way down here in the boonies, hahah!

I know!! I’m actually close to villa rica, so we could meet close to C town, I’m there pretty often.

I had the spec and switched to the 5g evo for my kitchen Pico. It’s been running since Jan. No filter but I added a cheap $7 small 80gph amazon pump inside my tank for extra flow and have the stock pump angled at the water surface. It is crystal clear with no filter. The Evo has a back chamber but my chambers are all empty. My corals go through quarantine in this tank before going into my display. I switched to the Hipargero 30w led light from Amazon and it sits on the lid perfect. I propped it up on each end just to keep the heat off the plastic lid, and have growth on my Sps that I have left in the tank. And my Duncan has multiplied like crazy. I have a yellow clown goby and lots of snails. The yellow clown took a few tries till I got one that didn’t snack on my Corals. It has a mix of Sps and Lps corals and is my fav tank out of my 5 tanks. If I did it over again I would buy a cheap 5g rimless tank as I don’t love the narrowness of the Evo but like the size. I use a turkey Baster to do my cleanings :) and don’t have to get my hands wet. Iv never had any softies till recently so not sure how they would interact with Sps in tight quarters. With a back chamber you could throw in some carbon if there was any issues and still be fine with no filter. Petco has sales online and you can pick the Spec up usually for 20% off the normal price quite frequently.

I had the spec and switched to the 5g evo for my kitchen Pico. It’s been running since Jan. No filter but I added a cheap $7 small 80gph amazon pump inside my tank for extra flow and have the stock pump angled at the water surface. It is crystal clear with no filter. The Evo has a back chamber but my chambers are all empty. My corals go through quarantine in this tank before going into my display. I switched to the Hipargero 30w led light from Amazon and it sits on the lid perfect. I propped it up on each end just to keep the heat off the plastic lid, and have growth on my Sps that I have left in the tank. And my Duncan has multiplied like crazy. I have a yellow clown goby and lots of snails. The yellow clown took a few tries till I got one that didn’t snack on my Corals. It has a mix of Sps and Lps corals and is my fav tank out of my 5 tanks. If I did it over again I would buy a cheap 5g rimless tank as I don’t love the narrowness of the Evo but like the size. I use a turkey Baster to do my cleanings :) and don’t have to get my hands wet. Iv never had any softies till recently so not sure how they would interact with Sps in tight quarters. With a back chamber you could throw in some carbon if there was any issues and still be fine with no filter. Petco has sales online and you can pick the Spec up usually for 20% off the normal price quite frequently.

You should definitely post an updated picture or two for me to see! These types of tanks I find to be the most fascinating! What are your maintenance and feeding schedules like? Do you use an auto doser?

Back