Orphek Issues?

syte

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm setting up a new 105g reef tank. I already have one Orphek Gen 2 that's brand new that I can use for it. I've though about purchasing another Orphek Icon to light the tank. Sadly I've heard a lot of noise about Orphek Gen 2 being unreliable. Several people have complained about LEDs going out. When they bring it up to Orphek, if they're under warranty they're forced to solder in the LEDs themselves. If it's not in warranty, you're expected to pay for the LEDs. If I have to replace multiple LEDs, it would be overwhelmingly costly. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with that. I'm thinking about purchasing to a500x instead. A new Orphek Icon will be about 800. Getting two a500x will be about 1300. $500 maybe worth the piece of mind. How do you feel about Orpheks. Is this issue overblown. If you have Orphek's have you suffered from it. Would it be better just to put the trigger on two a500x in exchange for the piece of mind.

I've also considered getting to radion xr15's. Then over time add two more. This tank is primarily for SPS coral :). Any input is appreciated!

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a new 105g reef tank. I already have one Orphek Gen 2 that's brand new that I can use for it. I've though about purchasing another Orphek Icon to light the tank. Sadly I've heard a lot of noise about Orphek Gen 2 being unreliable. Several people have complained about LEDs going out. When they bring it up to Orphek, if they're under warranty they're forced to solder in the LEDs themselves. If it's not in warranty, you're expected to pay for the LEDs. If I have to replace multiple LEDs, it would be overwhelmingly costly. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with that. I'm thinking about purchasing to a500x instead. A new Orphek Icon will be about 800. Getting two a500x will be about 1300. $500 maybe worth the piece of mind. How do you feel about Orpheks. Is this issue overblown. If you have Orphek's have you suffered from it. Would it be better just to put the trigger on two a500x in exchange for the piece of mind.

I've also considered getting to radion xr15's. Then over time add two more. This tank is primarily for SPS coral :). Any input is appreciated!
For SPS maybe consider a T5 fixture appropriate for your tank dimensions and supplement with LEDs. T5 fixtures are fairly easy to come by in the used market and way less expensive than LEDs usually. Someone more knowledgeable needs to weigh in on this but T5s might be worth considering.

im guessing the tank is 4 ft. Lmk i got a ATI sunpower dimmable with new bulbs

All of our Atlantiks ended up in the trash after less than two years. Their fixtures have high failure rates and the customer service is poor. So many other good options out there, Radions, AI, Sky, CoralCare, Reefbreedera, etc.

Why are 1k light fixture that’s absolutely garbage. Good to here 🥺. What about reef leds?

Though I like t5s, I rather not go through the process of doing bulb replacements.

I paid 900 dollars for a crappy light that has a huge fail rate. Nice. I may just go with a different tried and true brand

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve got a 4’ x 24” mixed reef , everything is healthy and thriving under Chinese black boxes but I am considering upgrading . at least I know what not to get now

I loved my orphek but didn't have it long. The new icons are supposed to be great

@billyocean so your experience is some what positive? I'm hoping with the Icon's things are a bit different.

@TTTony glad things could clear up a bit for you :). Picking lights is always difficult. Too many options. To be clear though, I haven't had problems with Orphek's yet, but several other folks have complained.

I had a v2 but only used it for 6 months and got a bigger tank...hard to convince the wife to drop a couple grand extra on lighting..they were like $1100 at the time. Had no problems though. Have viparspectra now as a starter light for bigger tank but after all the growth and color I get..I never changed them

Back