Anyone using Orphek OR3 bars?

chibils

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm thinking about lighting a tank exclusively with OR3 bars (2 Reef Day / 1 Blue Sky), but putting them over the tank with some surface agitation it's like a disco. Raising the lights helped marginally, but not much. It got better when I added the other two, but I can't hold all 3 up above the water to see how it looks without setting up a suspension system of some sort, and then I'd be committed.
The issue is mainly the Reef Day Plus having poor blending of the colors. It seems they really are meant to be supplemental, and all other uses weren't considered. The Blue Sky is fine, but it's a bummer because I specifically wanted a full spectrum daylight (10-12k) look and other brands on the market don't offer good full spectrum daylight bars. It's mostly like 50/50s of cool white and blue LEDs without any amber, warm white, red, green, or other colors. The tank is 36 x 24 x 16. Don't need a ton of punch, just spread and some intensity. I'd love to hear feedback from people who use OR3 bars and people who have other suggestions.

I am very impressed with the spectrum and pop, but I worry about the spread and color blending.

If @dball711 likes them, they do a great job growing corals for sure. I have Quantum LED bars, 2X Reef Crest Daylight, and when the surface of the tank is agitated, I see the disco effect also. I use my bars for supplemental lighting 5 hours a day so a different use case from what you considering.

I have two 48" Blue Plus as supplement to my three Noopsyche K7s on my 5 foot 120. No problem with disco, but they are all blue, so that isn't surprising. They work well in combo with the Noopsyche K7s. Way more color pop and better spread than the K7s alone. I'm in the process of wiring up dimmable drivers for them.

Yeah, the Blue Sky looks great. It's only the Reef Days that gave me trouble. They look awful without a primary fixture or a diffuser of some sort to smooth out the colors.

Just an FYI these are on sale right now. Not sure for how long.

Back