Nuking Zoas

zoajohn

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a massive zoa colony choking out one of my acros. Has anyone here used kalk paste to kill off some polyps? Any adverse effects to the reef as a whole?

How big of a colony are we talking about? I'd consider manual removal first. There are some good long steel tongs available, I'd buy those and do that before using Kalk.

How big of a colony are we talking about? I'd consider manual removal first. There are some good long steel tongs available, I'd buy those and do that before using Kalk.
Easily 100+ polyps. I've tried with some weaker tongs but i've never been able to rip zoas off a rock. Always had to use some sort of blade outside of tank. I could give it a shot with something stronger i guess

If trying to eliminate the colony as a whole I'd manually pull off everything immediately adjacent to the across then do you best everywhere else manually. Once done get some epoxy and put a sheet of epoxy where the colony was. Similar to how you can smother Aiptasia. Reef epoxy doesn't tend to stick so in a few weeks you can probably peel it off and spot treat any that pop back up.

Alternatively just move the acro sell the colony and rock, pop in a new rock and don't put zoa near it.

Back