New tank build coming soon

myvwrock

Supporting
Reaction score
I have not been on here in quite sometime. My tank is still fighting hair algae, but I have found my source. When I got this current tank ( see build thread below) the center brace was broken. But, I loved the tank, Its glass with curved front edges. In order to fix it, I got the idea of using a piece of metal as a clamp for the top... was worrying more about how strong it was... well fast foreword two years and my phosphates are off the chart high. My tank looks like a forest. I have been battling with H.A for probably over a year and a half. I have done everything, at one time I counted and I was doing 12 different things to combat the algae. Everything from G.F.O to praying. It never occurred to me that my problem is one that I created. It's almost embarrassing to say this, given my history with Aquariums and the hobby.

I have decided that it is time to upgrade. I originally was going to go to petco's dollar a gallon sale(going on now) and get a new 40 breeder. I thought about this though, and realized that I would never be happy with that tank. It would be non-reef ready, and just basic if you ask me. That lead me into thinking about a custom glass tank. And since I have a little room on my stand I figured I could play with the dimensions a little and get a few more gallons. I added three to four inches on each side. By doing this I gained about thirty gallons. I then thought hey, I built countless number of tanks with Chris Holloway, when I worked with him. It would be kinda messed up if I didn't use him. I know he builds bada$$ tanks. I asked him and he said he would love to build me a tank.. Thinking about it, I can't believe it took this long for me to get him too.

The new tank will sit on my current stand that I custom built. The stand is all wood and is 44 inches tall. I made it so tall because I hate seeing a really nice aquarium that I have to bend down to look at, I'm 6'1". I like aquariums to be at eye level. The new tank will be 39X19X21 and be about 70 gallons. I am very excited about the dimensions. I also think it is pretty cool that it will be unique. I will update when we start gluing and when I transfer everything.

Current tank and build thread..
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90902">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90902</a>

Thanks for reading, see ya soon, Chris

PFCDeitz;1089347 wrote: How has chris been? Long time to see from him

Hey man, just living life. It has been a little bit. How are you and the family?

Well its just me and the Kiddo now. Wife got the boot. I own a business now and just under one year of running and we are doing great. 4 employees and about to buy a building

PFCDeitz;1089349 wrote: Well its just me and the Kiddo now. Wife got the boot. I own a business now and just under one year of running and we are doing great. 4 employees and about to buy a building
Haha, it happens. What kind of business?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

O lol ... yeah I have been doing it about three months now...it different then automotive

Yeah do you know adam yet up there?? Him and I worked together at Peco for a few years

PFCDeitz;1089353 wrote: Yeah do you know adam yet up there?? Him and I worked together at Peco for a few years
What does he do there?

PFCDeitz;1089360 wrote: Nope you dont im thinking RV world lol
You're not the first who thought I was talking about rv world or camping world. But no I'm at camper city. We have been around for 40 years , not sure about the others.

Back