New member and wanted to introduce myself

Atalien2005

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Dequan Barthell and I just returned to the Atlanta area after being gone for 26yrs. I was born and raised in the local area before doing almost 24 years in the Air Force and finally retiring in 2020.

I’ve been in the hobby for a little over two years and also worked in a LFS in the Seattle area, part time for about 6 months. My first tank was a RedSea 425xl that I purchased used but it was an established tank with fish and LPS dominate corals. Ofcourse being new to the hobby, I dove head first into learning how to keep that ecosystem alive. There was a step learning curve but thankfully that tank was more success than failure even after switching over to an SPS dominate tank.

I currently don’t have a tank up and running but that’s mostly because the recent move. I’ve since sold the RedSea tank and all the corals, but have upgraded to a Cade 1800 s2 and a Reef Savvy 450g, that I got the lead on from reading on the ARC Facebook group (Thank you to that member for posting about it) and a RedSea 170 that will be a nem only tank. I still have a few fish that a friend in Seattle is keeping for me until I can get a tank setup and running.

I will end with thanking this forum/club. I was worried that moving from a very active community in Seattle that I wouldn’t find the same here. I also look forward to meeting many of you and also being very active in the reefing group, as you guys/gals are my type of people.

Cheers!

P.S. I’ve attached photos of my previous and current tanks along with some corals I had before moving back to Atlanta.

4FFBD0AD-7373-4DFA-991C-489B9BCB641A.jpegC9635C5F-DB1A-496C-8656-C6E5163CED7B.jpegAB0FB744-91B5-4FF5-BF77-3DC53AF4FF0E.jpegF3A87F28-BFDE-4A94-8022-294AB7D6E967.jpeg91E41889-F411-4161-86C5-9E2D1EEDE50C.jpegA34AE8F7-7F9D-4493-8C43-92693B2829F8.jpeg4BE0627F-D65A-43E5-8A30-CCBCF39B92AA.jpegFD091413-C980-4360-A5FC-56FD40B93B78.jpeg

Welcome! Being in Alpharetta puts you right in the thick of it here. Plenty of reefers and LFS close by. I'm near I-85 and Pleasant Hill, about two miles from Atlanta Aquarium, a sponsor store. Let me know if I can help with anything

Welcome! That Reef savvy is awesome. I love the aluminum extrusion canopy. Reminds me of the one we did on @Adams 525

Welcome home Atalien2005! It's great to have you here to contribute to our knowledge base!

Welcome! Being in Alpharetta puts you right in the thick of it here. Plenty of reefers and LFS close by. I'm near I-85 and Pleasant Hill, about two miles from Atlanta Aquarium, a sponsor store. Let me know if I can help with anything
Thank you for the welcome. Yes I met the owner of Atlanta Aquarium when I was visiting back in April. He was a very nice gentlemen.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. It’s good to be back home! I’m excited about getting the Reef Savvy set up, thinking about going bare bottom on that one and doing a more natural reef look with the Cade. Ofcourse going bare bottom will limit which wrasses I can put in the tank, as they are my favorite type of fish.

Welcome! New to the site as well! I'm in the Chattanooga area but am down in Atlanta often. Let me know if you need help with that 450! I have TONS of coral frags I can bring down! Would also like to take some diving lessons in it with a tank that big! 🤿🤿🤿 Cheers man! And thank you for you're service!

Welcome! New to the site as well! I'm in the Chattanooga area but am down in Atlanta often. Let me know if you need help with that 450! I have TONS of coral frags I can bring down! Would also like to take some diving lessons in it with a tank that big! 🤿🤿🤿 Cheers man! And thank you for you're service!
I was just in Chattanooga yesterday, I sure could've used some frags 🥺

Welcome to the ARC. Glad to have another guy close that is into high end equipment and corals!

Hello all, my name is Dequan Barthell and I just returned to the Atlanta area after being gone for 26yrs. I was born and raised in the local area before doing almost 24 years in the Air Force and finally retiring in 2020.

I’ve been in the hobby for a little over two years and also worked in a LFS in the Seattle area, part time for about 6 months. My first tank was a RedSea 425xl that I purchased used but it was an established tank with fish and LPS dominate corals. Of course being new to the hobby, I dove head first into learning how to keep that ecosystem alive. There was a step learning curve but thankfully that tank was more success than failure even after switching over to an SPS dominate tank.

I currently don’t have a tank up and running but that’s mostly because the recent move. I’ve since sold the RedSea tank and all the corals, but have upgraded to a Cade 1800 s2 and a Reef Savvy 450g, that I got the lead on from reading on the ARC Facebook group (Thank you to that member for posting about it) and a RedSea 170 that will be a nem only tank. I still have a few fish that a friend in Seattle is keeping for me until I can get a tank setup and running.

I will end with thanking this forum/club. I was worried that moving from a very active community in Seattle that I wouldn’t find the same here. I also look forward to meeting many of you and also being very active in the reefing group, as you guys/gals are my type of people.

Cheers!

P.S. I’ve attached photos of my previous and current tanks along with some corals I had before moving back to Atlanta.

View attachment 66537View attachment 66538View attachment 66539View attachment 66540View attachment 66541View attachment 66542View attachment 66543View attachment 66544
Welcome to the club and back to the ATL. Thank you for your service and congrats on the retirement!

Very nice to “meet” you. First off thank you for your service to our country! Welcome back to Georgia! And welcome to ARC 😀.

Thank you for the welcome Scott.

What’s funny is my wife can tell if something is expensive, based on if I like it or not 😂😂. Really my motto is buy quality once and you save in the long run!
I am with you, I go 100% or don't go at all. I think my wife wished it wasn't so with my hobbies haha... Sadly, reefing is my cheap hobby. Looking forward to that beast up and running!

Back