Need some time in water... where?

wade

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations on where to go to get some time in the water this time of year into winter? I've been dry too long (4-5 years) but have Advanced cert and will be doing a full week technical/scientific course in May, but wanted to get in some time underwater first.

I am guessing the springs in FL might be easiest, but I'm open to other thoughts.

Cheers!

which springs - rainbow springs? It's an easy fresh dive and there are plenty of elevation changes to practice buoyancy. There are also some queries nearby, but the visibility is terrible. West Palm near the bridge is nice but that's a little bit of a drive.

Its been many years since I did the springs, but from what I recall we did Devil's Den system (plus the river drift dive), Blue Grotto, Ginnie Spring, and I know there was one other.

And yes, West Palm is a pretty stiff drive, was hoping for sites a little closer.

My vote was west Palm as well . Anywhere from Jupiter south to the keys really . Biscayne Bay being my favorite shallow water diving.

Also there's a bunch of springs in the Ocala area. Salt ,silver Glen , silver ,rainbow and a bunch more near by .

Your 8hrs to Ocala ( freshwater)
10 hours to wpb ( deep water)
12 to Miami ( shallow water )

On another note if you ever want to come dive Carter's lake in Ellijay let me know . I have some things I need retrieved

Going to put this out here for the sake of others who visit and may need ideas.
Aside from what other members have mentioned previously 2 that stand out are.

Blue Springs in Orange City Fla. I have seen lots of divers in the spring head.
St. Andrews State Park in Panama City ( the Jetty to be specific ) lots of life over there.

Hope this helps to anyone who is casually looking for ideas.

I've had some good wreck dives off Destin and Panama City, but it was many years ago. I wouldn't go there as a destination trip, but it was good for a cheap diving weekend.

Tried and true Florida Keys diving trip to experience reefs. As others have mentioned there are also several spring options in northern Fl.

Back