My experience with zoa eating nudi's

I got some Flatworm Exit from Capp Bay... I saw some flatworms in the water column shortly after but the nudi's are still alive I think. Maybe I'll empty the bottle in the tank tomorrow.

That was only a couple of months ago 3 maybe? I still have lots of zoos, and i havent seen one in a while. Like it says, I did 2 treatments withing about week of eachother...and I havent seen one since. Wei, how much of the FE did you use? I had to use twice the dosage in my tank. I'm not sure if that's going to affect any of your nice sps or anything...I wouldnt think so. For the most part, I didnt see them float around that much like the flat worms. Most of the time, they just shriveled up and fell in between everything. Try dipping just one colony like I did. Maybe it can help you find out exactly how resistant your nudis are to the stuff...

I will probably jinx myself for posting this... but it's 5 days later and all the zoas are now opening up and I don't see any signs of the nudi's. I do see some random tiny white specs on the zoas which I can't tell if they're eggs or if they've always been there... but those are still clinging on the zoas.

For Flatworm Exit, I poured a little more than half the bottle in... treats probably about 160-175 gallons. I only did one treatment so far and so far so good. While treatment, I saw some clear flatworms floating around in the water column but I didn't see any nudi's floating around. I may repeat another treatment this weekend just to be safe, but I haven't decided.

All the corals, fish, inverts are fine, though if you have good nudi's in your tank I'm not sure if this would be the right solution for you, but based on Patrick's suggestion for using it and Bobby's suggestion for changing water and putting carbon in after the treatment, things are looking good. (knock on wood)

Glad to hear things are getting better. You have alot of great stuff in your tank and I would hate to see it get infested and you lose all of it.

You still need to be careful, b/c they go through stages, so you might not see them for a couple days and then BAM! your tank has twice as many as it did before once the eggs start hatching.

I hope you don't see anymore though.

Good Luck!

Here's the update on my nudi's.

I really think they are gone. But nothing is definite yet. I had thought once before they were gone only to see them come back 2-3 months later.

So I had setup the 125g new tank and moved everything except zoas into it. Any straggler zoas on larger pieces of rock with other corals were killed before going into the new tank.

All the zoas remain in the 72g tank. I did 2 dips about a week apart at the beginning of June- every rock in the tank was dipped. I also scraped the bottom and sides of the tank just to scrape away any eggs. Its been 2 months and there is no sign of nudi's. I did another dip Wed night. Scraped the sides and bottom again so there is no place for the eggs to live.

I'm waiting for the summer to mostly end before I turn on the 3rd MH in the new tank and at that point I plan to shut down the 72g and hope for the best. I figure by November I will know for sure if my battle is over. It will have been a year.

I look at these nudi's like cockroaches.

gwen_o_lyn;67124 wrote: Here's the update on my nudi's.

I really think they are gone. But nothing is definite yet. I had thought once before they were gone only to see them come back 2-3 months later.

So I had setup the 125g new tank and moved everything except zoas into it. Any straggler zoas on larger pieces of rock with other corals were killed before going into the new tank.

All the zoas remain in the 72g tank. I did 2 dips about a week apart at the beginning of June- every rock in the tank was dipped. I also scraped the bottom and sides of the tank just to scrape away any eggs. Its been 2 months and there is no sign of nudi's. I did another dip Wed night. Scraped the sides and bottom again so there is no place for the eggs to live.

I'm waiting for the summer to mostly end before I turn on the 3rd MH in the new tank and at that point I plan to shut down the 72g and hope for the best. I figure by November I will know for sure if my battle is over. It will have been a year.

I look at these nudi's like cockroaches.

So sorry you had to go through this. I am really glad I didn't have to, probably because you and others have, which is why I immediately got all the zoas out of my tank when I found the first one and the zoas were a very recent addition to my tank. Now I dip everthing in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure and put them in the frag tank first. I haven't seen another in either tank.

Did anyone try the SeaGrass Wrasse as of yet? Seems like I am now dealing with this problem. I pulled out the one rock that has zoos not fully open. My other two zoo rocks are full and loving life. DO I still need to pull those too?

Adding to my other post... I used Flatworm eXit and got rid of the problem within a week. They never returned even after a few weeks/months.

Back