Matrix Use Questions

izoid

Market
Reaction score
I have purchased 2L of Matrix for my 120 gallon FOWLR tank. I plan in putting it in a filter sock in my sumps return chamber. Is this a good way to use it or is there a better setup? I do not run a canister filter and was hoping not to.

Thank you for your question, izoid. Matrix will work well in almost any capacity, and it does not have to be used in a canister filter. In fact, in our large systems here at Seachem, we just place it directly into the sump, as there is very little maintenance required, and Matrix never requires replacing. Because you will most likely be changing/cleaning your filter sock regularly, I might suggest placing the Matrix elsewhere in your sump, but this is completely up to you, as it will house beneficial bacteria wherever you may choose to place the media. Hope this helps!

I should have said filter bag, not sock. Thank you for the reply!

You are welcome! Yes, that will work very well, though because of the large size it does not necessarily have to be contained in a filter bag.

I just got the 4L size of pond matrix. Was planning on putting it on top of eggcrate that is sitting in between a baffle in my sump. This used to house a 4"x14" foam filter. There would be water running through the matrix constantly. However, there would be some detritus caught over time in there as well. Would this be a problem or should I make it to where it is in some kind of basket that I could take out periodically and clean with salt water?

Thanks

Thanks for the post!

Do you have any type of mechanical filtration (filter socks) preceding the Matrix? This would certainly help to reduce the amount of large debris that is able to reach the Matrix and potentially clog the pores. As long as you are able to disturb the Matrix from time to time in order to remove any debris that may build up on the outer surface, it should be fine on top of the egg crate.

I hope this helps!

I have 2 filter socks that get changed regularly and run a protein skimmer. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Tgriffin, we have Matrix in use in a similar fashion to what you're suggesting. We took bio balls out of an older wet/dry, and placed a layer of Matrix on the eggcrate. There is a prefilter (not a sock, but a filter pad, same idea) that the water passes through before it gets to the Matrix, to help keep detritus out of it. Works great.

Mike - in another system, we have a bag of Matrix in the sump (on the 65), and also use filter socks to keep the sump cleaner.

In both applications it works just great.

Jenn :)

Should I presoak the "pond matrix"? It says to do that, however, I know that that particular product was inteded for ponds. Or should I just dump it in?

Thanks again!

Hi TGriffin!

The purpose of pre-soaking Matrix is to allow all of the air to escape from the internal pores. Because Matrix (and Pond Matrix) is so porous, it has a tendency to float when first placed into use. Pre-soaking it will allow the air to escape the pores, so that when you are ready to place it into your filter/sump, it will sink.

Have a great day!

Quick question, can and will pods live in the matrix? I pulled all my LR out of my sump and added the matrix. Did I just destroy my breeding grounds for the pods?

I do not think that you destroyed your breeding grounds, as pods should be able to live on and around the Matrix.

Back