Howdy y'all

melev

Market
Reaction score
It was very nice meeting many of you at your March meeting this week. So many excited hobbyists in one room just builds enthusiasm for our reef tanks, right? :)

Keith & Jo Ann were kind enough to open up their home for me for my overnight stay. I had the opportunity to see a few of your LFSs, and spend a couple of hours at the Georgia Aquarium.

Are you locals planning to attend MACNA this year? It is in 178 days! Sign up now, because you'll have a great time.

http://www.macnaxx.com">www.macnaxx.com</a>, or talk to anyone on your BOD.

Here's the hotel that the event will be held at, in case you've not been curious enough to find out yet:

[IMG]http://melevsreef.com/pics/08/03/ga/westin1.jpg alt="" />

And standing in front of the Georgia Aquarium, you can see it is within walking distance - 5 minutes roughly.

westin2.jpg
alt="" />

MACNA is in September, and every hobbyist should figure out how to attend if at all possible. Your knowledge level will be raised significantly by the 21 speakers that present during those three days. If you enjoyed the club meeting this week, imagine that type of educated presentation on every topic related to our hobby. Each year, more and more vendors show off their products in probably 100 different booths, and are there to answer your questions. Often you can buy what you want right on the spot, sometimes at a discount.

If you've not visited the Georgia Aquarium yet, you're missing out the experience of a lifetime. The main exhibit is 6.3 million gallons!! It is roughly a football field long (front to back) with 4 whale sharks that vary in length from 16' to 22'.

In this picture, you can barely make out the seam running vertically above the speakers head. The acrylic is 24 inches thick!
6point3million_3.jpg
alt="" />

Here's one of the whale sharks cruising the tank. At MACNA, on Saturday night, the gala dinner is being prepared by Wolfgang Puck. The banquet room will be at eye level with the whale sharks, which will be unforgettable. There are two males & two females. Once these sharks reach 36' long, the mating should begin.
6point3million_2.jpg
alt="" />

This exhibit is not one to be missed. Keith took me there around 3pm Wednesday, and the aquarium closed at 5pm. It was so worth it. Entry fees are $27 each, and there are rules about what you can bring in. My guess is that they are trying to avoid vandalism and pollution to the animals.
6point3million_1.jpg
alt="" />

So for all of you that are on the fence about attending, please just trust your BOD and sign up now. The people that are organizing this event need an accurate head count. Every single one of your locals should be attending MACNA, as it will NEVER be cheaper than when it is in your area. Your only expense is the entry fee, and odds are ARC is offering a discounted entry to its membership. You don't have to pay for a hotel, nor for transportation like the rest of us across the nation. Each night, you can head home and sleep in your own beds for free. :D Or hang out with some of us in the bar until we finally call it a night.

If you've never been to one before, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'm a huge fan of MACNA, and have never missed one since attending my first here in Ft Worth back in 2002. Your money will be well spent, and you'll have so much knowledge to work with from then on, not only to help your own tanks run better, but to help others on your forum. Do it for your reeflings. Do it for yourselves. And then tell me I was right! ;)

Welcome and yes im sure you will see alot of these faces at MACNA!

Welcome Marc...great presentation at the meeting and kudos on your site. I know I personally have used your site for many of my DIY projects including phyto. Thanks again!

Thanks Marc....great presentation and great site! And I'll be seeing you at MACNA!

Wow... ARC just lets any ol' RiffRaff join our boards now??? J/K!!

It was so great meeting you Tuesday evening and I'll have to say it was my favorite meeting yet. You are such a terrific speaker and so easy to listen to. I could have sat there for hours. You presented the material in such a clear, easy to understand format and for the first time the whole skimmer-sump-fuge-return layout makes sense to me.

Will you have a booth at MACNA?

By the way... posted the cellphone picture of you 'n Barb in our http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/photoplog/index.php">gallery</a>. Hope you don't mind.

See you in September!!

Welcome. I have learned alot from your site too. Great job! Thanks for speaking at our meeting.

Marc--Be glad that you got that shot of the Westin when you did! A bunch of the windows were blown out of it last night when a tornado touched down in downtown Atlanta.

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Thanks Marc - want to be on the MACNA XX Marketing Committee!!! :yes: </span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">I wouldn't worry about the Westin - it was just a few blown out windows - they will have that fixed in a day or two.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">For speakers - we actually have 32 confirmed and 1 uncomfirmed.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">The confirmed speakers are:</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Hugo Freudenthal</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Bruce Carlson</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">James Fatherree</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Jake Adams</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Scott Fellman</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Eric Borneman</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Al Dove</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Helen Ellis</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Matthew Witenrich</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Steven Pro</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Bob Fenner</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Marj Awai</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Koji Wada</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Sylvia Earle</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Cathy Sakas</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Tim Woolston</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Jim Walter</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Larry Jackson</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Anthony Calfo</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Tom Wyatt</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Rob Toonen</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Kelly Jedlicki</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Christine Williams</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Scott Fellman</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Julian Sprung</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Jo Ruxton (of the BBC - Blue Planet)</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Alex Brylske</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Charles Delbeck</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Phillip Root</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Dr. Kim Cobb</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Kim Hall</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Michael Cottman</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">We hope to have the agenda out in the next week - it is ALMOST done!</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">It was nice seeing you! Thank you for coming to Atlanta.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Margi</span></span></span>

I'm on every club's MACNA marketing committee. :D

I've heard rumors about getting a discounted entry to the Aquarium while attending MACNA. Is there any truth to that? That way I can let others know one way or another.

31 speakers! Sounds like you need to add another day to the conference. :lol:

Tornado?! That was just a little jet backwash when I flew out of town. ;)

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: navy;">Marc - well.... Yes - we do have something in the works for a discounted Aquarium Entry for Saturday before the Banquet... Still working out the details. Also working out details on "special" behind the scenes tours.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: navy;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: navy;">Margi</span></span></span>

Back