Help with MRC-2 R setup

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to hook up the skimmer to my 210. I am a bit confused by the installation direcitons for out of sump assembly and have a couple of questions.
1. For best results, install and return water from the skimmer above the water level of the sump. This will eliminate back pressure and make adjusting the skimmer much easier. The skimmer can only drain level or down.

This seems to imply that I should raise the height of the skimmer about the sump. My sump is a 55G below my 210. I had planned on putting the skimmer next to the sump. Should I raise it off the ground and if so by how much? Is 1' enough or should it be entirely above the level of the water in the sump? I have a return line drilled in the top of the 55G now, but I can drill another anywhere i need it.

2. Connect the skimmer feed pump to the hose barb fitting in the ¾ inch bulkhead located next to base of the injector

I didn't get a hose barb fitting with the skimmer, should I have? If I plan on using a Mag 5 to drive the supply do I need to be able to throttle back the supply, ie. do I need to put a gate valve or something similar on the supply side as well?

3. Connect a 1 ½ drain line from the skimmer to the sump. The gate valve may be connected along any part of the drain line. PVC Cement should be used to connect the parts of the drain line and allowed at least two hours to cure before use

The sump I have has a 1" bulkhead already drilled but that would mean I would need to reduce the output flow from the skimmer to the sump at some point to connect to the blukhead. Will this negatively impact the performance of the skimmer? It's also at the top of the sump, which means I would need to have the bottom of the skimmer equal to or higher than the bulkhead, (same question as #1 above).

4. Lastly, I called yesterday because the recirc pump I bought PW-150Ps has a broken supply valve in the box. (just a reminder).

Thanks for all the help!
Bob

I don't think it matters but it's actually the MRC-3R not 2R.

Bob

Bob..

My MRC-3 is way above my sump. I had issues trying to tune it in with it at the same level. Since you are using a feed pump you shouldn't have the issues that I had. I would use ball valves and quick disconnects everywhere you can to easy in the removal and cleaning. Barbs tend to leak stretch/fail over time.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks Mark. I may come and check out your install at some point if that's ok?
BZ

If you're going to install it next to your sump the minimum water level of the skimmer will be equal to the level of your sump. If that level is low enough for the skimmer, you're fine in that respect. You'll have issue with overskimming if it's too high. It may also make it a headache to clean the injectors if the water level of your sump is above the lower quick disconnect on the injector.This will cause water to exit the lower quick disconnect when you disconnect it.

The next issue is returning the water to your sump. The best way is to drill your sump, install a bulkhead, and run a drain line directly to that bulkhead. If you use a 'U' to go around the edge of your sump, the top of the 'U' will be the minimum height of your skimmer water level.

ok. So at this point I am thinking I will install it above the sump level, use a supply pump for the input and let drain back down in to the sump from above through PVC with quick disconnects and flexible PVC for all the connections, glued where needed on each connection. Any body need anything from Savko? I will probably order some PVC this week.
Bob

Back