Help setting up new aquarium

Viceroy

Reaction score
Hello I just purchased a new 120 gallon saltwater aquarium and I've been looking for help on how to set up the equipment. I have an Aqua-C skimmer, chiller, 3 pumps (Iwaki mag drive MD-100RLT, WMD-40RLT, MD-55RLT). All of them are external pumps and the previous owner used one as a sump, one to run the skimmer, and one to run the chiller. I'm looking for some help if anybody is interested. I would be willing to pay. Got a box full of extra equipment too

Screenshot_20230818_122803_Messenger[20882].jpg

There are a few folks who could probably help but you might be better served by reaching out to a store and having them hook everything up and get the stuff running. If I were in your shoes and wanted to get everything set up in one go, I'd call Classic City Aquarium and get a price. I say this because typically when I set up a system I set the tank, sump and return and get things maturing. I'll then add once piece at a time as needed so the entire job can be spread out over months. External is a good way to go but a lot of times it can be more involved.

Where are you at in the process at this point? The first step would be a good cleaning if you haven't done that yet. Citric Acid from Amazon is how I do it.

There are a few folks who could probably help but you might be better served by reaching out to a store and having them hook everything up and get the stuff running. If I were in your shoes and wanted to get everything set up in one go, I'd call Classic City Aquarium and get a price. I say this because typically when I set up a system I set the tank, sump and return and get things maturing. I'll then add once piece at a time as needed so the entire job can be spread out over months. External is a good way to go but a lot of times it can be more involved.

Where are you at in the process at this point? The first step would be a good cleaning if you haven't done that yet. Citric Acid from Amazon is how I do it.
Thank you for the advice! I'll call them to see how much it would cost. Trying to not break the bank of setup costs. I have started cleaning everything, currently building the stand. Do you recommend citric acid over something like vinegar (already did some cleaning with vinegar).

Vinegar used to be the standard as far as breaking down calcified material and salt creep. It still works well but a lot of folks have switched over to using citric acid. You can buy the stuff by the pound on Amazon. I switched a few years ago and find it works better and is a lot less smelly. Citric acid is supposed to be gentler on rubber and silicone but that's "knowledge" I picked up from the internet and I don't have any facts or research to back that up. In my experience it works a lot faster than vinegar because you can increase the concentration depending on what you're doing. You can do the same thing with vinegar I suppose but I was always one of those guys that threw in some water, some vinegar and just went for it without paying attention to the ratio.

Back