good or bad starfish

andi.rahl

Market
Reaction score
Should I yank him or leave him? I'd search on here to see if I Can id him but I don't wanna lose sight of him 2021-04-1220.11.488139284919438674458.jpg

Looks like a common asterina starfish. They can reproduce in large numbers and some people then get annoyed. I wouldn't say it is an immediate threat to anything but like many things a few is cool and a million is not.

Looks like a common asterina starfish. They can reproduce in large numbers and some people then get annoyed. I wouldn't say it is an immediate threat to anything but like many things a few is cool and a million is not.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on them then. I looked away and he's gone.

Found my first one tonight hanging out on the back glass. I’m not sure how it snuck in because I dip all of my coral first, but I yanked him out.

Found my first one tonight hanging out on the back glass. I’m not sure how it snuck in because I dip all of my coral first, but I yanked him out.
Maybe he was in your rock? Or maybe he just decided "I'm not phased one bit by this dip! Bring it!" lol sorry I crack myself up. I'm still just watching them. I've found 4 distinctly different asterina. My friend is vehemently against me getting rid of them.

Asterina starfish are notorious for just popping up- they hide well, can grow from a fragment, and reproduce in the right conditions like wildfire. Harlequin shrimp 🦐 are the sworn enemy of all stars 🌟 including asterina 😉

Asterina starfish are notorious for just popping up- they hide well, can grow from a fragment, and reproduce in the right conditions like wildfire. Harlequin shrimp 🦐 are the sworn enemy of all stars 🌟 including asterina 😉
Thanks for the tip! If they wind up out of hand I'll pick one(?) up. I only have a 12 gallon tank. (10 display 2 In back)

With that small tank, a Harlequin would starve quickly, unless you have Significant number of stars hidden in there. They need a significant population. They are cool shrimp though and I enjoy seeing our’s hunt at night in between feeding him chocolate starfish parts every so many weeks.

I stopped by Nemo’s this afternoon and they had 3 of them. I’d never seen them before and had no idea what it was. I may go that route if I see more. Because they only eat stars, they will die once the food source is gone, right?

I stopped by Nemo’s this afternoon and they had 3 of them. I’d never seen them before and had no idea what it was. I may go that route if I see more. Because they only eat stars, they will die once the food source is gone, right?
Please borrow one or pass one on to another member or make sure you can return to the lfs or buy chocolate or other stars to grow and harvest legs if you have a harlequin. They are beautiful stunning shrimp and they will die without their star diet. We grow multiple chocolate stars in our refugium to keep our’s fed in between the asterina population our systems 5 tanks hold. We move him from tank to tank and supplement his diet with the chocolates and in return he keeps the asterina population happily in check.

With that small tank, a Harlequin would starve quickly, unless you have Significant number of stars hidden in there. They need a significant population. They are cool shrimp though and I enjoy seeing our’s hunt at night in between feeding him chocolate starfish parts every so many weeks.
Oh no I wouldn't get one for a small amount I was thinking more like it there way way out of hand and I couldn't control em. I am not too worried right now. I just couldn't remember if this starfish was the kind that was a nuisance in some tanks

Please borrow one or pass one on to another member or make sure you can return to the lfs or buy chocolate or other stars to grow and harvest legs if you have a harlequin. They are beautiful stunning shrimp and they will die without their star diet. We grow multiple chocolate stars in our refugium to keep our’s fed in between the asterina population our systems 5 tanks hold. We move him from tank to tank and supplement his diet with the chocolates and in return he keeps the asterina population happily in check.
Agreed, I certainly wouldn’t let him starve. They are truly amazing!

Back