Frag swap in Alpharetta area?

We would love to make that happen but we (the BoD) needs a little help with this one. We have talked about having frag swaps at different locations in the Metro area but we keep running into the same issue - finding the space. The main reason we hold them at the Church in Decatur is ease. It's a cheap space that is large enough and (most importantly) they don't have an issue with us bringing in a bunch of saltwater tanks. IF anyone know of any space that we can use or could help us search, please let me know. Here's the basics on what we're looking for in a space:
  • Adequate for around 100 people.
  • Less than $1000 for 6 hour rental.
  • Ok with saltwater tanks, of course.
  • Adequate outlets in the space!
That last one is a bit tricky. I personally have looked at a number of spaces that would otherwise work but there ended up being 3-4 15amp outlets for the whole space. Building codes have changed quite a lot over the years and most of the newer spaces have adequate power but, unfortunately, a good many spaces we've found we built out in the 60's or 70's.

If anyone can think of a space we may be able to rent, please reach out and see if they are ok with saltwater tanks. If so, please let me know and I can take care of the rest.

Come to think of it, if anyone wants to help out in this area, we could really use it. For the folks that are new, here's a little history.

For years and years we held our meetings at what we called "Shindell's Office." Steve Shindell was a valued member of ARC who worked in an office space that had conference rooms on the lower levels. Well, time did it thing and Shindell moved on from the hobby. Thankfully the office was willing to help us out and we were able to us that space for quite a few years after but then Covid hit. That combined with a remodel they did on the space broke the fragile line of communication we had to the space. Various BoD members have called, emailed and visited to try and get the space back but it hasn't worked out thus far. We held events at a few different places since then until we stumbled across North Decatur Presbyterian Church. It happens to be my home church & I have been in a leadership position in that Church for years. "Leadership position" sounds way more important than it is. Basically, I have all of the keys and know where everything is. It's easy to schedule, use and clean up. This saves us a lot of time in planning.

Time is the biggest hindrance to keeping ARC an active and engaging place. The good folks that "run" it are volunteers and we have plenty of other things to do. I think I can speak for other BoD members when I say that we love volunteering our time for ARC but finding new spaces take up a LOT of time that can be spent doing other things for the Club. For me, when I find something quick and easy, I stick to it. We could really use some folks to volunteer some time to help locate and qualify locations in the Metro area that would allow us to hold an event. I think the 1st meeting would take the most time. i.e. getting to know the space, rates, emails, phone numbers, and all that good stuff. If it's a success, the 2nd & 3rd time we visit the space should me MUCH easier.

Come to think of it, if anyone wants to help out in this area, we could really use it. For the folks that are new, here's a little history.

For years and years we held our meetings at what we called "Shindell's Office." Steve Shindell was a valued member of ARC who worked in an office space that had conference rooms on the lower levels. Well, time did it thing and Shindell moved on from the hobby. Thankfully the office was willing to help us out and we were able to us that space for quite a few years after but then Covid hit. That combined with a remodel they did on the space broke the fragile line of communication we had to the space. Various BoD members have called, emailed and visited to try and get the space back but it hasn't worked out thus far. We held events at a few different places since then until we stumbled across North Decatur Presbyterian Church. It happens to be my home church & I have been in a leadership position in that Church for years. "Leadership position" sounds way more important than it is. Basically, I have all of the keys and know where everything is. It's easy to schedule, use and clean up. This saves us a lot of time in planning.

Time is the biggest hindrance to keeping ARC an active and engaging place. The good folks that "run" it are volunteers and we have plenty of other things to do. I think I can speak for other BoD members when I say that we love volunteering our time for ARC but finding new spaces take up a LOT of time that can be spent doing other things for the Club. For me, when I find something quick and easy, I stick to it. We could really use some folks to volunteer some time to help locate and qualify locations in the Metro area that would allow us to hold an event. I think the 1st meeting would take the most time. i.e. getting to know the space, rates, emails, phone numbers, and all that good stuff. If it's a success, the 2nd & 3rd time we visit the space should me MUCH easier.
Sent you a PM with a possible space!

Come to think of it, if anyone wants to help out in this area, we could really use it.
If you ever need any volunteers to help with setup or anything in the Suwanee/Duluth/Cumming area please message me or text me. I can send you my phone number if needed. I can go outside that range too, that's just my home turf. I'd be happy to help out where I can.

Spikes 2nd annual Frag Bash coming
This is in my backyard - how do I buy tickets? The presale price is too good to pass up!

Would love if we could get one going on the south side/midtown area of ATL. With all the reef shops being located up north, would be cool to get something in my area going.
is there a officer that could send me a DM on space requirements and fee the club is willing to pay for the space I could check around the airport area

Back