everyone needs a lil' iodine

eagle9252

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I was having problems with the leather toad stool lifting and my LFS told me to add iodine that leather like a lot of iodine and he sold me a bottle of Vibrance. I told him that I don&#8217;t dose unless I have a test kit for it. </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">After adding a minimal dose of the Vibrance prior to getting the test kit last week my levels were still real low and when doing a water change this weekend and cutting it 75/25 with salinity and adding the proper dose per the kit, lots of things happened. </span></span><span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">For the record next week will be 50/50 mix :^) </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Has anyone ever tested their iodine level, mine was almost nothing? And I have been doing weekly wc of 15g in about 130g system (120 and a 75 sump). We will see what it tests at in a couple of days and next week and very happy about switching back to Salinity!!! </span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">The dendro opened a lot larger and the leather toad stool finally started to rise up off of the sand bed. Several of the other corals have opened up more and the colors LQQK much more vivid.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Below are 2 pics from 2 weeks ago and from last night.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">
2012-11-13_17-40-19_4571.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>
2012-11-20_22-15-54_972.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

2012-11-13_23-01-12_521.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>
2012-11-20_22-16-13_496.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

I'm probably an idiot but I don't test for it but I add it twice a week, very small amounts like 2ml twice a week. I heard it gets depleted really fast and clams will suck it up. no negative affects so far

thats what he told me. he said i would be safe to add 1 or 2 ml a week between wc. but i prefer to test what is dosed. and found out that i needed to add alot more.

That is great Charles, nice before and after pictures. I need to get a test kit and see where mine is at. We can always learn from others! Thanks, Holley

Are you certain you are adding iodine? I add iodide from Seachem which on the label says iodine is as toxic as chlorine.
Can you clarify?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php</a>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">iodine, fwiw, is never needed to added or dosed.....ever....</span></span>

did you even see the vendors product name?

here is an exert from their page, FWIW

Vibrance

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/vibrance.html">http://www.aquavitro.com/products/vibrance.html</a>

Most iodide supplements on the market are simply potassium iodide. When added to an aquarium environment, iodide becomes unstable converting to elemental iodine (which is biocidal) and iodate (which is useless to corals, toxic at elevated levels, and can't be tested for). Iodide is the only form of iodine available to corals for uptake. Because of this instability, iodide must be stabilized for aquarium use.

Use Seachem MultiTest™: Iodide and Iodine to measure iodide.

[QUOTE=][B]mysterybox;814384 wrote:[/B] [IMG]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php</a>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">iodine, fwiw, is never needed to added or dosed.....ever....</span></span>[/QUOTE]

I've never tested for iodine/iodide in my home reef. I've only blind dosed 3 times. Since I don't keep many softies, it hasn't been a huge concern of mine.

lol................................I'm laughing too hard to respond....

mysterybox;814397 wrote: lol................................I'm laughing too hard to respond....

I was thinking there was other meds for that other than iodine :D
That helps softies:eek: jk. Lol

containerman1;814403 wrote: I was thinking there was other meds for that other than iodine :D
That helps softies:eek: jk. Lol

i have jokingly said that to others. LOL

Ripped Tide;814425 wrote: Iodide is very important! Most salts have adequate replacement levels.

your food that you add contains so much Iodide that this is not needed to be measured! The food generally used has 10x the value more than what we need....no issue....no need to measure or dose.

u using morton salt?

obviously i have a need for this.... ether the stuff in my tank is sucking it up or the RSCP and the food i have been using has not had enough... wait ... aren''t we suppose to feed what the fish are to eat only and not over feed the tank? i'm not using no name food. i checked one and yeap its in it.

http://www.oceannutrition.com/?post=formula-one-pellets">http://www.oceannutrition.com/?post=formula-one-pellets</a>

Shrimp, Euphasia pacifica plankton, sardine, wheat flour, fish eggs, soya-lecithin, Spirulina, salmon oil, garlic, minerals ([B]potassium iodide[/B], iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), MPAX™ (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, hydrolysates, select amino acids (L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (vitamin C), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, nicotonic acid, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E)), Betaïne, calcium proprionate, potassium sorbate, ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments (astaxanthin, canthaxanthin), yeast (ßeta-glucan).

i also give the green lid formula two daily, this is the main foods i give on top of the cyclopeezs and rods food that i feed the tank 1 to 2 times a week. i also spot feed a couple of things brine/ pe mysse shrimp so... obviously i have a need and i bet that others have a need or the test kit and supplement would not have been made.

[QUOTE=][B]mysterybox;814428 wrote:[/B] your food that you add contains so much Iodide that this is not needed to be measured! The food generally used has 10x the value more than what we need....no issue....no need to measure or dose.[/QUOTE]

This has me curious what my iodine level is in my tank I used to blinde dose but stopped because I also don't like dosing what I can't test for. Im curious if thats one of the reasons some of my softies have been looking kinda "meh" lately.

I may be wrong but my thoughts are if food, and salts contain the iodine suppliment it may get used up too quickly and a dose of it might be the way to pick things up off the sandbed

Bottom line is if your tank responds well to it then do it in moderation and keep testing so you don't o.d. your tank. I love it when people tell other reefers what they do and don't need to put in there tank... as if they are all exactly the same

I agree with what most everyone said before, salt mixes that we use these days have more than their share bound in the salt itself. Its not likely that you would need to add it unless it was depleted due to being left in there wayyyy too long. In which case you should slap yourself anyway for having not done a water change in months or weeks for the dozens of living creatures that thrive in each of our tanks.

On a side note I use this stuff as a softie dip after fragging or noticing a runaway necrosis type effect, works Awesome for softies. A while ago I had a toadstool that outright refused to open for nearly 2 months, chopped it in half dipped it and believe it or not the next day it was out as if nothing ever happened.

mph84;814487 wrote: bottom line is if your tank responds well to it then do it in moderation and keep testing so you don't o.d. Your tank. I love it when people tell other reefers what they do and don't need to put in there tank... As if they are all exactly the same

+1

Back