Bubble Tip Anemone - Not Happy

MathCat58

Supporting
Reaction score
I introduced a BTA about a month ago and for the first few days it did great, but for the past few weeks it has moved away from the light (Nicrew 150W) and has not looked nearly as happy as when I initially introduced it. My tank was started over a year ago and has live rock and some soft corals (GSP, Mushrooms, Sinularia Leather, Candy Cane - this last one isn't doing great). I have before/after photos below. I know I have battled some high nitrates (I stopped testing for a bit and then caught it at 60ppm) but have lowered them through a couple of 40% water changes spread out over a week and reduced feedings of the tank. I have resumed weekly 7% water changes (primarily because changing 5 gallons is easier than changing 10 for a 75 gallon tank). I run a Eheim 2215 canister filter and know those can trap nitrates without regular maintenance.

Here are my current parameters:
Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8.0
Temp - 78
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20ppm

Day after introduction into the tank a month ago:
New Anemone.png

Today:
Sad Anemone.jpg

I noticed when my bubble tips move to the underside of ledges or hide in the back they are about to split. They will look like garbage for a week or two and then they are fine. Not saying it's 100% that but it's a behavior I noticed.

How old is the tank?

I noticed when my bubble tips move to the underside of ledges or hide in the back they are about to split. They will look like garbage for a week or two and then they are fine. Not saying it's 100% that but it's a behavior I noticed.

How old is the tank?

The tank is a little over a year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back