New Member 75 Gallon

MathCat58

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to ARC but excited to get involved and learn. I started just over a year ago with my first every saltwater tank. It's a 75 gallon mixed reef (so far softies only) with Eheim 2215 canister filter. I am very lucky to live about 2 miles down the road from my LFS (a blessing and a curse)!

Unfortunately I am currently fighting some high nitrates due to some over-feeding (about 20ppm now after some strong 20-40% water changes - shooting for 3-5ppm) and sadly now have some aiptasia popping up so that will be my next battle. I believe it snuck in on a Sinularia frag about a month ago.

I love the hobby and will be learning as long as I am in it I'm sure. Someday hoping to have a +200 gallon built into my wall, but baby steps.

Saltwater Picture 2023 March.jpg

what are you considering high nitrates. 20 is alittle high but i keep mine at 15ish.

what are you considering high nitrates
It got up to 60ppm before I started the 20-40% water changes. I got lazy for a few months and also forgot to clean the canister for a bit (won't happen again). I much prefer the 10% weekly to bi-weekly ones! Took about half a Saturday afternoon to do the 40% one.

right. best of luck hope you got a mesh top on your tank. Looks like you got some jumpers there

If you don't keep the canister filter clean that will drive up nitrates. Do you have a skimmer? There some good HOB skimmers out now

If you don't keep the canister filter clean that will drive up nitrates. Do you have a skimmer? There some good HOB skimmers out now
Actually that's next on my list. My tank is rimmed and I'm looking for a HOB one that can handle a 75 gallon but also fit behind the tank so I don't have to put it on the side. If you have recommendations let me know!

Actually that's next on my list. My tank is rimmed and I'm looking for a HOB one that can handle a 75 gallon but also fit behind the tank so I don't have to put it on the side. If you have recommendations let me know!
reef octopus and aquamaxx both make some nice hob skimmers. What kind of media do you have in your canister?

reef octopus and aquamaxx both make some nice hob skimmers. What kind of media do you have in your canister?
I use all of the Eheim manufactured stuff - their Substrat biological filter media, the Mech mechanical media, floss, and carbon disk.

I use all of the Eheim manufactured stuff - their Substrat biological filter media, the Mech mechanical media, floss, and carbon disk.
I would replace the Substrat biological with seachem matrix. I would run it in a high flow media bag so its easy to remove and rinse. I would not replace it all at once but half then replace the rest in a couple weeks

I appreciate the advice there! I will definitely look into replacing with that media. Anything to help keep nitrates in check would be awesome!

Will also look at your recommendations for protein skimmers.

Back