Eliminating an in-sump refugium?

Cook

President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with getting rid of their refugium after having had one for a while? I'm going to swap out my 40 gallon breeder setup for an 80 gallon and I'm thinking of eliminating my refugium when I move to a new sump. From what I can tell, my current sump is not significantly reducing nutrients and I'm already running a small canister filter for phosphate reduction. It could be a hit to biodiversity though. I will need to find a new sump, and I already have my refugium light, so this is just a discussion of pro's and con's. In my 90 gallon, I make more GHA than chaeto, I have better results with the 40 breeder, but the light is a little tight space wise and salt splash is an issue. I have pretty stable tank pH, which was one reason I added a refugium, so I wonder how much I might miss it. For now, I'm leaving it up to random chance since the sump I picked out in the build thread raffle doesn't have a dedicated space for one.

I got rid of my fuge when I swapped from my 75 to a 120. No ill effects here.

@Dmac, thanks for the reply. I found a good deal on a sump without a refugium a week ago. I came across some tanks that were built to be refugiums and I ordered the biggest one (13 gallons) to add more total volume to the system. In the end, I have a pistol shrimp (Florida big claw) that's been relegated to the sump as it's primary inhabitant and the family insists she should continue to have a home. This tank is tall enough that I can have some macro algae without having to worry how much of it will be carried into the shrimp's cave to die.

@Dmac, thanks for the reply. I found a good deal on a sump without a refugium a week ago. I came across some tanks that were built to be refugiums and I ordered the biggest one (13 gallons) to add more total volume to the system. In the end, I have a pistol shrimp (Florida big claw) that's been relegated to the sump as it's primary inhabitant and the family insists she should continue to have a home. This tank is tall enough that I can have some macro algae without having to worry how much of it will be carried into the shrimp's cave to die.

Relegated to sump, sounds like someone was misbehaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back