Diving the GA aquarium worth it?

rostato

Market
Reaction score
Seriously $325 for only 30 minutes of bottom time. That seems like a complete rip off. Even the worst of air suckers should get better than 30 min of bottom time in the shallow environment:confused2:

rostato;539291 wrote: Seriously $325 for only 30 minutes of bottom time. That seems like a complete rip off. Even the worst of air suckers should get better than 30 min of bottom time in the shallow environment:confused2:

Well, you can go to that other aquarium and get to swim with whale sharks......oh wait, no you cant. Seems nowhere near a ripoff to me to get an experience you cant get anywhere else.

jmaneyapanda;539322 wrote: Well, you can go to that other aquarium and get to swim with whale sharks......oh wait, no you cant. Seems nowhere near a ripoff to me to get an experience you cant get anywhere else.
+1. Factor in gas, plane tickets, charter boat, dive guide, food and time lost doing so and it is a pretty good deal. Not to mention the fact that the money goes towards keeping these animals healthy for us to learn more from them since they are right at our finger tips

did the dive it was worth it and when you find out what the proceeds are being used for if your like me you will find it was a well invested $325
And yes you will come back with 75% or more of your air but be warned they will put 10% of your body weight in the weight pockets so your a seasoned diver with proper bouyancy skills lie about your weight other wise you will be way over loaded

Thanks for that. I am no seasoned diver, but I usually only need a max of 10 lbs with a 5 mil suit.

We are going to do it tomorrow afternoon...

I will be there as well..I dive the OV in the AM and do the dive show at noon..see ya there, ask for Todd when you get on top

washowi;539404 wrote: I will be there as well..I dive the OV in the AM and do the dive show at noon..see ya there, ask for Todd when you get on top

Will do. I look forward to it.

wmboots;539401 wrote: did the dive it was worth it and when you find out what the proceeds are being used for if your like me you will find it was a well invested $325
And yes you will come back with 75% or more of your air but be warned they will put 10% of your body weight in the weight pockets so your a seasoned diver with proper bouyancy skills lie about your weight other wise you will be way over loaded

Punctuation much! :)

They they allow you to bring your personal computer? I hate consoles...lol

Anyone try the snorkeling? I've heard that it is awesome as well.

And on a side note if you go to the aquarium and DON'T do the behind the scenes tour, you are REALLY missing out. It is awesome and well worth the $.

You're not allowed to bring in outside gear due to contamination concerns but you don't need it anyway. You're not going below 30' and you won't use up your tank, hardly reason you ever need to even look at your gauges so just pay attention to what's around you!

JeF4y;539876 wrote: Anyone try the snorkeling? I've heard that it is awesome as well. .
Snorkeling would be great too. Since the whale sharks are up near the surface anyways it would be a great experience.

Well is was awesome! They let me use my computer and mask, so that was nice.

I would venture to say the snorkel would be just as cool, if not better than the scuba dive if you really want to see the whale sharks. It really depends on your needs and wants.

Thanks to all that suggested it.

whale sharks are cool to swim with.....huge, just huge. Did you get any pictures?

The Manta Rays were not so bad themselves. Don't forget the other variety of huge fish like the other sharks, and groupers. Too cool

I dove the Disney aquarium last year and after 45 minutes I got really bored. Granted there were not cool whale sharks but still its just a big fishtank.

swalke2;544322 wrote: I dove the Disney aquarium last year and after 45 minutes I got really bored. Granted there were not cool whale sharks but still its just a big fishtank.

the key words were whale sharks and yes it is a big fish tank but any dive is what you make it out to be. I've gotten bored diving in Key Largo before don't mean for this to sound like a slam but the money that is paid for diving at GA is going to such a great cause I would hate to have someone put off thinking they will get bored

Back